THEY DO EXSIST.... STATE WATER GROUPER

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Currentsituation

THEY DO EXSIST.... STATE WATER GROUPER

Post by Currentsituation »

Well, Went down to DI/Panacea area to do some fishing this week. The family was down all weekend and left due to the yellow flies so I was by myself Tuesday and Wednesday (with all my fishing buds at work and the boat already down here I said what the hell I am going fishing)

Day One: Weather was terrible and I was determined hit the water so I decided to go to St. Marks and beat around the river and try to find some trout.

I did find one keeper and caught many shorts and catfish. all in all a good day on the water!

Day Two: Weather was getting better so I was able to fish a greater area but was still limited to hiding behind reefs & islands and such.

First off, Landed a 24" trout in the first 15 minutes on a silver spoon. After that I weeded through many shorts and found two more keepers before lunch. I decided to head in and gave it a rest in preparation for ideal forecast the next day. Got the boat ready to go for the run out the next morning and went to bed early that night after a belly full of fresh trout. :lick:

Day Three: the day of reckoning!!!!!

I was the first one at the landing, Idled out of the channel at 630 AM. Once I got to 30' I started trolling heading towards to my first spot and picked up a Big Spanish trolling a stretch 30. After about 45 min I gave up on that. I never actually got to my spot after marking some pretty good structure while tolling I drifted through a few times with Squid and picked up some grunts and rock bass which I knew were going to be there. But I had my mind on finding a grouper. I decided to anchor up and immedialy got a good slam and next thing you know I pull up a nice keeper 22" red grouper in 40' of water. :D . Shortly after I catch a hand sized grunt and decide to hang him out the back a few cranks off the bottom. Within no time a 24" Gag decides to swallow him whole. I was ticked at this point to find a red and a gag within just a few miles of land. I almost thought it couldn't be done "legally". At that time I was under the impression that the total limit on grouper was two but since found out I could have brought in 2 gags and two reds in. I was so ticked at the time I headed in looking to find some trout in an effort to fill the box with a variety pack so to speak. Headed inward and chucked a few trout in the box and headed in @ 2:30 to clean up the boat and head on home.

All in all great trip out on the water!

tallykenj
Site Sponsor

Re: THEY DO EXSIST.... STATE WATER GROUPER

Post by tallykenj »

Great news.
The Back Porch
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

Looks like you had maybe two ground balls and a home run!

Way to go!
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
bman

Post by bman »

Heck Yes!!
Way to go :thumbup:
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Currentsituation

Post by Currentsituation »

Yes sir!!! It was a great feeling!!!! Hoping to catch many more from that #
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

:thumbup: :thumbup:
Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Post by Rhettley »

Good job on the grouper and making through the yellow flies. :thumbup: God they have been bad.