Lanark/Dog Island Maiden Voyage - Friday 4/30

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Dale Hollow
Site Sponsor

Lanark/Dog Island Maiden Voyage - Friday 4/30

Post by Dale Hollow »

Left out of Lanark at 9am after the storms through Tally had passed. Moderate chop in the protected waters, 2 ft rollers beyond.

It was the salt water, maiden voyage of my project boat 'Hard Times IV'. 4 long months of restoration to the ole family, 16' bass tracker. It handled the salt water and the waves great! :smt026 Skeeter followed me out in his boat in case I had any troubles. Banshee rode shotgun with me for the day (Thanks!)

OK, about the fishing...

Fished on rising tide till. Caught numerous shorts and a couple keeper trout in 4' feet of water on Shrimp/Cajun Thunder combo. Tried all of the SWA's and Hard Baits but nothing doing? :smt017 Live bait was the trick today.

Moved out into about 6' water after the wind began to die down at 3 pm. Bite was slow but it was still great. Got into a 'herd' of Sailcats for about 1 hour. Caught about 20 - four pounders! :o It was fun, but I had to let my arms rest.

Caught a couple spannies drifting into some very smooth, smooth water at the end of the day.

Total for the day:
5 keeper trout 16-20'
2 spannies
1 sail cat (I've heard many people on this site say these are good eating, so, I've got to try one. Anyone with any recipes for Sailcats, let me know!)

Left the water at 6 pm very pleased that Hard Times IV handled the water as well as she did... :thumbup:

Dale Hollow
Last edited by Dale Hollow on May 3rd, 2004, 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

Good job, Dale. Sounds like ya did real good, breakin in the new boat and still caught dinner :lick: We started to go yesterday but thought the water might be too rough, rainy. Sounds like a good time. :D
Yours in the South
Aucilla
Site Sponsor

Post by Aucilla »

Nice report Dale. I may give that a try in the morning. It has been way too long since I've had the 13'er out. It has been collecting junk in it as I have been slowly servicing it. But got all the fluids changed, everything lubed, new plugs and a new prop, and even a new bait station installed, finishing today while you were out fishing. The weather looked great in town.
And you got some fun action to boot!
Dale Hollow
Site Sponsor

Post by Dale Hollow »

Wear'em out Nolester! That 13' footer should be able to handle the waves behind or inside the reef there at Lanark obvisiously depending on the wind.

Good Luck.