Line color - What do you all use?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

timmy0257

Line color - What do you all use?

Post by timmy0257 »

I imagine that you would want to use a line that blends with the water color. I fish mostly Lanark and St Marks, so would it be safe to get a green colored line? Bass Pro has a nice sale and Id like to pick some up.

I spolled my main reel with 12# Seaguar Blue label. I bought 200 yds and didnt put enough on and now find that I may run out of line with a nice fish. Splicing my line and adding more scares me.

Thanks

http://www.basspro.com/Seaguar-Kanzen-B ... 409220634/
bpac
Site Sponsor

Re: Line color - What do you all use?

Post by bpac »

With braided line I don't think color matters, in fact, I prefer a bright colored braid so I can easily follow my line. Throw on three to five feet of flouro leader and you should be in great shape regardless of braid color.

For mono I love pink colored ande.
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

Stay the h-e-double hockey sticks away from Kanzen line. Absolute crap. Tried two different spools from different BPS locations and quality was TERRIBLE.

Stick with PowerPro or upgrade to 832.

For 15-20lbs line I use power pro, mostly their green colour, with white 15lb on my Conflict (2500) and Falcon BuCoo combo... why white? Because I thought it looked cool :lol: :lol:

30lbs and over I use Diamond Braid (i've got 30 and 80lb spooled).

Use pink for all that matters, as long as you have a good leader (length, strength, etc) you'll be good to go.
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

I have green or red braid on all my inshore reels some of the red had faded to a nice pink... I always use a fluoro leader so have not noticed any difference between colors re: fish catching ability.
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

I use green Power Pro and my wife uses yellow. She likes her yellow line because it is easier to see.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

The Spectre fiber is naturally white and manufacturers add dyes and make it stick with wax. That's why the white braid casts easier out of the box. The dyed line takes a bit for the wax to limber up. That said, it is hard to find white braid on the shelves typically.

I have been using Power Pro Super Slick 8 (with eight strands) for a few seasons now and it has worked well for me. With the tannin-stained water the timber brown blends the best. For clear water like Lanark, the green works well. My only complaint is the Slick line starts at 10-pound test and I'd prefer lighter for better casting distance/sport.

As others have already mentioned, adding a section of fluorocarbon leader will increase the stealth factor and give a little stretch on a violent hook-set. I use 20-pound Seaguar Blue Label and connect the braid/leader with a double uni jam knot or a triple surgeon's knot. There are a couple other knots that'll work, but I always prefer the simplest and highest breaking strength, especially for any lines 10-pound test or less.
timmy0257

Post by timmy0257 »

thanks everyone. I passed on the Kanzen, so i am glad to get that feedback. I bought a spool of Ande 15# mono. It is sort of a blue color which i think will work well. not see easy for me to see, but i think low-vis for the fish.

I will be fishing out of st marks super early on the morning of this saturday. Hope to have some fun topwater early in the morning, then work out way out to deeper water.

how has everyone being doing in that area?
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Lot of fish tallied on Ande Backcountry Blue. Good stuff.

I still have a couple reels with Ande monofilament. It has its place for sure, especially in super-clear, shallow flats for bonefish, permit, etc.

Kind of like handguns. Some prefer the simplicity of revolvers while others are more comfortable with automatics. I like shooting both! :)
bman

Post by bman »

Nothing wrong with Ande... my top water baitcaster is spooled with clear ande!
For spinning rigs I like braid and have used green and blue both with a fluoro leader.
The lighter colors are easier to see!

If I'm using a rattle cork I tie the braid directly to the cork and use a fluoro leader.
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
gatoremt

Post by gatoremt »

I am using Power Pro Slick 8 on all of my reels. No problems with it. Also have about 3 ft of Flour-Carbon leader.
Griff - 14.5' Ultimate Native
Virtus Junxit Mors Non Separabit What virtue has joined together,
death shall not separate
Deus bonus est
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

Ohero or FINS is what i use, nice colors to choose from as well. best line i've used hands down. probably won't find it anywhere local. if i get in a bind, power pro slick.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Never tried ohero,but I borrowed this from fcka. It's an ohero promotion I believe 150 yds braid, 25 yds fluro and. 2 pack of circle hooks for $20. I've not tried it, only borrowed the link

http://store.oherofishing.com/c/specials
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
saltycrab

Post by saltycrab »

Salty Gator wrote:Never tried ohero,but I borrowed this from fcka. It's an ohero promotion I believe 150 yds braid, 25 yds fluro and. 2 pack of circle hooks for $20. I've not tried it, only borrowed the link

http://store.oherofishing.com/c/specials
Salty,
Thinking hard about taking up that Ohero offer. Between that an the USA Braid available at Walmart (Confirmed that it is manufactured by FINS for Walmart) but it is only available in orange in 150ft. :-?
redbelly7

Post by redbelly7 »

I like Invisibraid which is white. Since no wax, it's a little rounder and it casts fine for me. It' s a little hard to find, but Bass Pro usually has some.
mpa_72001

Post by mpa_72001 »

Pink for breast awareness!usually using 10 or 15 pound slick 8 in any color with a 20 pound mono leader.