Out Indian Pass 05/05 - 07/05

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Chipola

Out Indian Pass 05/05 - 07/05

Post by Chipola »

Took advantage of high pressure over the gulf and searched the 100ft plus waters for snapper. On Wednesday my wife went along for the ride and three red snapper, a couple of lane snapper and one four foot sharp entered the icebox, along with several bluefish which would leave my bait jigs alone. A short gag and a short AJ were returned to the deep.

On Thursday I took my father-in-law out to the same spot on nearly flat seas and limited out on red snappers, with lane and mangroves rounding out our snapper limit. Three short AJ's, two short red grouper, and several jumbo porgies. Friday was a repeat of Thursday, with two snapper shy of our limit. I had two snapper stolen off my line by porpoises. One of those seafaring mammals grabbed a nice snapper and ran at full hilt from the boat, totally ripped the gears on a Penn 4/0 reel before the line broke.

The red snapper were tearing into short chunks of cigar minnow, the AJ's and Lane snapper were hitting live shrimp. Nothing seemed to like squid, except grunts. 60 lbs mono with 30lb flurocarbon leaders and 4/0 hooks, but the key seemed to be 3 oz weights.
Fire your psychoanalysis and go fishing...singing reel drags will calm your soul
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

Very nice catch.. :thumbup:
fish finder
Site Sponsor

Post by fish finder »

Chipola,
Sounds like you had the same luck on Wed. that I had on Thur. What is up with the sharks?? Glad to hear that you caught them on Thur. How far offshore is 100ft out of Indian Pass? I've never been over that way. Thursday, we ended up 42 miles out from Alligator Point in 110ft. The water was beautful, but I saw no bait pods, no diving birds, no weedlines! There were quite a few shrimp boats within a 10 mile radius and I'm wondering if they hadn't dragged the bottom the night before in the area I was in. I think that screws up that bottom fishing when they do that, but maybe I'm just looking for an excuse! :oops:
Fish Finder
Chipola

Post by Chipola »

Out of Indian Pass on a S/SW bearing the 100ft waters start near the 20 mile mark, shy of the 20 mile mark and all you get is sandy bottom in the 80-95ft range.

I saw about four shrimp boats on Wednesday and two large fish trawlers at anchor in the 80-95 ft waters, but they didn't seem to affect the fishing. I need to explore some more of those 100 ft areas for additional fishing areas because of Saturdays some of my numbers look like the Atlanta boat show.
Fire your psychoanalysis and go fishing...singing reel drags will calm your soul
Fishin 911

Post by Fishin 911 »

You gotta run out about 30-35 mi to the 150ft range to find that good live bottom....you'll want an electric reel in that range with all the bait checking you will do. :o There are some nice grouper and snapper out in that range. My dad wasnt really in the mood to run that far Friday...and we didnt have the electrics with us.

There are decent snapper in the 70-85ft range....a good bottom machine can help find those spots.