Wakulla Reef

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

MIAcanes44

Wakulla Reef

Post by MIAcanes44 »

Is the Wakulla reef in state or federal waters? What are the regulations for gag grouper in federal waters? I am new to offshore fishing in this area so any information will help. Thanks.
When you catch so many, you just stop counting.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: Wakulla Reef

Post by Salty Gator »

I'm pretty sure wakulla reef is right over the line in fed waters. Also pretty sure( never really sure w grouper regs) gags closed Dec 3. Good luck, the bsb's should be on fire at least
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
foxtrotuniform

Post by foxtrotuniform »

I just pulled the artificial reef map and state waters boundary from FWC's server. Here's the breakdown of some local reefs. Hopefully this helps. Let me know if you need the numbers for these.

State Waters
St. Marks Reef
Dog Ballard
Rotary Reef
Wakulla Big Bend Regional (grouper cubes between St Marks Reef and Dog Ballard.)
Florida Gas Transmission (Dog Island)
Two Dogs
Carabelle 3-mile
One More Time
Franklin County Bridge Reef (0.5 miles inside)
L Buoy Reef

Federal Waters
OAR Wakulla (1.5 miles outside)
OAR 2K
Marker 24
K-Tower
Rose City/Bobby Redding Memorial (0.5 miles outside)
Bryson Reef
Yamaha Reef
O-Tower
St George Island Bridge Reef (All of it. West site is 0.1 miles outside.)
City of Apalachicola Site
C-Tower
MIAcanes44

Post by MIAcanes44 »

Thanks foxtrot and saltygator. This helps out a lot. I can get the numbers out of the chart section on the site.
When you catch so many, you just stop counting.
Ranaman

Post by Ranaman »

Foxtrot that will help a lot of people out that have that question, it is a damn shame it even has to be asked! Regulations are pathetic people can't keep track you have to be on the FWC's hot sheet email to even hear of half the stuff that comes out in the middle of the year!!

I got down to Carrabelle Saturday mostly for a get a way and to assist in boat trailer work, but my buddy who did the work on the trailer was out fishing Friday and said he really got into the >14 inch trigger fish and it was a shame he couldn't' keep them....I then found out he was fishing one of our numbers WELL inside state waters and I had to break the bad news that those could have came home! he read the regulations wrong and or just got screwed up because they shut it down last year. he was perfectly legal and ended up with none of them because he couldn't' make heads or tales of the regs!! it's just stupid and if you haven't seen this yet I highly recommend the watching of this video for you who like that decimated Snapper fishery we had of 4 days to catch them in. http://yellowhammernews.com/politics-2/ ... -industry/