Chucktown... aka Charleston, SC

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

FishWithChris

Chucktown... aka Charleston, SC

Post by FishWithChris »

There comes a time in every persons life where a new adventure is sought... I grew up in Mims fishing ML and IRL, lived in South Mississippi for 4.5 years fishing that gulf coast, and now been in tally for coming up on 11years. I love the Big Bend. I also love Charleston, but really don't want to entertain the idea until I get more opinion on it. I go a couple times a year and love it more each time... and if you don't know, I'm a hair or two under 30.

So the biggest factor that will make a play is..

How's the fishing!? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
MuleTrainGA

Re: Chucktown... aka Charleston, SC

Post by MuleTrainGA »

Never fished Charleston but I would enjoy the fact that not only are you close to a productive coastal fishery but you are also near great coldwater trout fisheries. Also, I have recently moved to south Mississippi for a research assistantship studying red snapper reproduction off the Mississippi coast. I have found some great sight-fishing in the Pascagoula river but I am interested in making my way over to LA to try to sightfish some bigger reds. Got any suggestions?
Trevor Moncrief
Fisheries Biology Class of 2014
Warnell School of Natural Resources, UGA
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Have done several boat tests and a couple fishing features in Chucktown over the last several years. Caught redfish up to 13 pounds all morning long on one of the coldest days I've ever spent on the water one winter.

The fishing can be excellent. Tailing and cruising reds in the backbays and tidal creeks, bull reds around the jetties and tarpon in nearshore, plus plenty off offshore species (with an associated run).

Excellent food and a spirited nightlife.

And if you're not married, one of the highest ratios of women to men in the Southeast. :wink:
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

I spent 5 years in Charleston as a kid, fished nearly every weekend with my Dad. Mostly freshwater. Caught a lot of bass up the Cooper River at Cypress Gardens. Also, striped bass on Lake Moultrie was legendary then and still is. Caught most stripers at night fishing on the lock walls of the dam. We caught a lot of sheepshead out of the harbor under the old bridge, and a few trout. We tried the creeks some but never learned how to fish them, but I read a lot about how good the redfishing is in them. I think you will like it there, I would like to take my boat there one day and re-live some old memories.
Yours in the South
reelhandy
Site Sponsor

Post by reelhandy »

The fishing can be really good up that way, but there are differences. The tides run a lot faster and are a whole lot more extreme from top to bottom. The inshore bottom is mostly mud versus the mostly sandy bottom of the Big Bend. The water clears enough in the winter for sight fishing, but in the summer it stays clouded up most of the time because the frequent storms wash mud out of the marshes when they hit at low tide. Lots of pretty women.