May 8th Ecofina, Grouper

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Carlabear

May 8th Ecofina, Grouper

Post by Carlabear »

Well seems like its been a while since I got to go fishing. Having to do the weekends with sisters and daughters but do have a nice report from my better half John and his 2 children this weekend.

While I stayed in Thomasville this weekend, John got his kids ages 10 and 12 and went to Ecofina for the day fishing. :( I sure do hate to miss it.

Didn't start out too good due to problems with spark plugs so got a late start on the water :(

Left out of ecofina about 10 30 and got out to 32 - 37 foot of water about 1100. Started trolling and wham! got a huge grouper 34 + inches trolling . Trolled in 2 mile area for several more hours but no hit . The kids were getting bored and wanted to bottom fish so dad got busy. As soon as John sent down some ly frozen bait wham! a big grouper hit they had chumed up the area a little with squid. The kids were getting bites but no fish and dad was helping them.

The fight was one and in about 1 hour this group had landed 9 keeper groupers 18 - 20 + lbs. The kids had a ball and when one was landed would run up to the front of the boat . This was the first grouper experience for them. Well I gues Ill have to experience this next weekend! Hope for a repeat. We are still running out about 18 miles out of ecofina withinin the nursery. Not at same numbers from before but within one mile. this is good area. : :D

Hope to have as good a report next week. We are still finding grouper in close and nice ones! Have a great week ! : :thumbup:
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Very nice report.... makes me wish we had a video of that trip with the young'ns catching fish :D
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".