Raymarine?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Atticus
Site Sponsor

Raymarine?

Post by Atticus »

Anyone using a Raymarine unit as a GPS? I'd like to know what you are using for chart software...
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Re: Raymarine?

Post by Flint River Pirate »

I was recently wondering the same thing but couldn't remember who used Raymarine.
Team Jolly Mon
Sun Daze

Post by Sun Daze »

Would like to know too! I saw on Flats Class the other night that they had a raymarine unit that had the Google satellite views overlayed the chart. I've been wanting that capability for a while now.
Atticus
Site Sponsor

Post by Atticus »

My research shows it takes Navionics. But I don't know squat about Navionics. Does Navionics come with a computer program you can use on a desktop/laptop?
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

Lowrance uses navionics. I have the platinum card for my Hds 7. You know I'm not very tech savy, but you're welcome to check mine out. Maybe we'll each learn something...
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
Atticus
Site Sponsor

Post by Atticus »

Thanks buddy. I pulled the trigger on a Raymarine Dragonfly 7 the other night. I should have it installed in the next few weeks. In the meantime I will mess with the Navionics stuff that comes with it. I might upgrade to the Navionics + card which looks like it can be had for less than $200.

Here's a video I saw which makes Navionics look like it can be used on a desktop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_BG0OhyTF4

Hopefully the transition from the Garmin ecosystem for 10 years will go smoothly. If you pass me stuck on a bar in the mouth of the Econfina River - shit went wrong :hammer: :beer:
Atticus
Site Sponsor

Post by Atticus »

Be warned! It's a disaster DON'T DO IT.

Raymarine will hit you up for all kinds of special software to do it. Navionics PC application doesn't work - the only thing Navionics software tries to do is sell you a $200 card that includes maps but no planning capabilities that I can find. Raymarine's only free PC application is a total joke.

You will have to get third party software also to convert the waypoints to Raymarine's format. You have to pay for the third party software if you have a lot of waypoints. Than you still have to pay for good maps and still have to pay for planning software if you want it.

I am in the middle of this right now. I have already emailed the retailer about returning the Raymarine unit. Going to stick with Garmin if I can get away with it now.
timeout

Post by timeout »

Be careful, Garmin has changed drastically in the last few years. They support almost none of their older machines. Loved them but it seems we are sitting on 6 or 7 Garmins that are about useless right now. Several were quite expensive I think they were 3210's (?)
hambric85

Post by hambric85 »

Raymarine? HEK NO!!!! I BACK UP WHAT ATTICUS SAID! STICK W/ GARMIN. OR THE NEW BIRDS. IM WANTING A SIDE VIEW BIRD FOR MY BOW.
Atticus
Site Sponsor

Post by Atticus »

I have done some research and I think I am going to give it a try. Stay tuned
Atticus
Site Sponsor

Post by Atticus »

Well after 6 or 7 weeks of turmoil I went back with a Garmin. At least on the Dragonfly line from Raymarine - they're not suitable for primary marine GPS use. Raymarine will admit that when you call them (because the unit won't read your card) and ask them why the GPS won't automatically leave a bread crumb trail; why it won't run a pre-programmed route; why it won't display any reference information under a icon on the maps... etc...

I bought the Raymarine and had Big Bend Marine in Perry (my dealership) install it. The install job was not up to par. I had a buddy pick up the boat - if it had been me the boat would have never left their shop in the condition they presented it. After a Saturday afternoon fixing Big Bend's work I started messing with the Dragonfly and it was horrible. The Dragonfly has the built-in deficiencies described above PLUS - it wouldn't read my micro card.

So I bit the bullet and bought a new Garmin 74sv. I also found a different installer who came to the boat and did some great work. Shout out to Phimar Marine (850.251.1596) who finished a very clean, low drag install job on the huge, new Garmin in the limited dash space available.

I am back to Garmin. My retailer has agreed to take a return of the Dragonfly (even though I am out of time for a return - we'll see how that goes). Lesson learned - I wound up paying for two install jobs.