New to Area: St. Marks/panacea

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

gatorgriff

New to Area: St. Marks/panacea

Post by gatorgriff »

Just moved to Wakulla and I'm getting the itch to get out on the water. I grew up in Jacksonville fishing the creeks and river. I was wondering if anyone could give me some help on where to launch from and what to fish around for reds and trout. I've been thinking Pancea area, there's a big ramp there, but I've also heard about St. Marks. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.
Hit-n-Miss

Re: New to Area: St. Marks/panacea

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Welcome to the Forum. Bman can help you in the Panacea area. For fishing St. Marks I would launch at the fort ramp. Look up posts about the Rock garden, lots of rocks to avoid out by the Light house. I mostly fish Ecofina and Keaton so others will have more info on the area you want. I will say the scalloping can be quite good at St. Marks some years(hoping this year).
randymullaly

Post by randymullaly »

Hi Gatorgriff,

Welcome,

Jacksonville is my home town as well. I suggest you get a "Top Spot" map for the area. You can buy them at West Marine or Bass Pro. It will so ramp locations and also
common fishing areas along with the species thats commonly bought there. I fish the flats for trout often and put in at the light house. A little spooky at first with the water depth and rocks but it won't take you long to learn your way around.
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

Griff, Welcome to our little slice of heaven. When folks refer to "The Fort" they are talking about, San Marcos de Apalache Historic State Park. It is located at 148 Old Fort Road
St. Marks, FL 32355. There is a city boat ramp with a gravel parking lot. It is a good ramp that will allow launching of nearly any size flats or bay boat during all tides. It also is in the fresh water zone which is easier on your trailer and motor. Price of launch is $5.00 or you can buy an annual pass for $40.00
The other popular ramp in the Saint marks area is the "Lighthouse Ramp". It is near the end of lighthouse road inside the Saint Marks National Wildlife Refuge. Daily entrance fee is $5.00 or an annual pass can be purchased for $15.00. The ramp was refurbished about three years ago. It is in good shape, but it can be difficult to launch other than a jon boat during low winter tides. Mid to high tides are no problem.
East of the lighthouse approximately 1 1/2 to 3 miles near the reed grass and out to about a mile(south) is an area referred to as the "Rock Garden". It can be a very productive fishing area, but it can also cost you a boat propeller or lower unit if you are not careful. They didn't call it the rock garden because they ran out of names.
Finally, for detailed information on hot spots and productive fishing areas, the go to guy is Jumptrout 51. He is a wealth of knowledge and information. He is very willing to give out his information....for a price. :lol:
Good luck and tight lines.
tewtrout

Post by tewtrout »

Gatorgriff. Sorry to hijack your post, but I'm also new to fishing st marks. Actually going this weekend for the first time in my own boat. I'm just curious and wanna ask the ones in the know as to what fishinfool meant about not launching from the lighthouse on a low winter tide. Me and a few buddies plan on launching our 16 and 17 ft aluminum boats all with 50hp engines and bigger tomorrow around lunch. Should we be worried about not being able to load the boats back up around 630, before the dead low?
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

Around 18:30 there should still be about a +1 foot depth in the tide. You will probably not have any trouble getting back to and out of the ramp. On negative low tides, the ramp canal can get very shallow. Getting a boat into or out of the water during those tides can be difficult. Read the tide charts. They can be very helpful.
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

When the Lighthouse ramp was rebuilt a few years ago they put a curb across the bottom end of the ramp to stop folks from backing their trailer off the end of the ramp. On an extreme low tide you can back your trailer until the tires are against the curb and there won't be enough water to wet the bottom of your boat. A good rule of thumb is if you can easily launch you're OK. Loading on an extreme low tide is a challenge. You'll know if it's too low to load well before you get to the ramp. You'll be kicking up mud all the way through the canal.
What was I supposed to do today?
tewtrout

Post by tewtrout »

Thanks guys. I had been looking at the charts so that's why I was a little confused. Brand new to saltwater fishing. Only fished outta the lighthouse 1 time last summer with the inlaws. We tried to come back in on a new moon low-low and drug bottom the whole way to the ramp! Talk about nervous. I was the navigator on someone else's boat! Whew
gatoremt

Post by gatoremt »

Welcome to the forum. I go by Griff also.
Griff - 14.5' Ultimate Native
Virtus Junxit Mors Non Separabit What virtue has joined together,
death shall not separate
Deus bonus est
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Another factor to consider when launching there( lighthouse) is wind. A +1' tide looks very different with a 20 mph north wind than it does with a 20mph south wind. Good luck
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
gatorgriff

Post by gatorgriff »

Thanks to everyone's help/advice. I'll get out on my next days off, as long as the weather is good. I'll make sure to post back with how it goes.