Need reel recommendation to pair with a rod

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

timmy0257

Need reel recommendation to pair with a rod

Post by timmy0257 »

Friends,

I have a Penn Squadron 6'6" MH spinning rod that has no reel on it. I previously had a 5000 series spinning reel on it but have since put that on a different rod. the Penn rod was too stiff to cast much but i am looking for a recommendation on another application for it. i know this is a basic question and it really depends on what I specifically look to accomplish, but i do look to you all as pros and like to read your advice. thanks.
countrycorners

Re: Need reel recommendation to pair with a rod

Post by countrycorners »

I'd put a 4000 series Shimano Symetre on it. I 'd put that on anything: old rods, crooked sticks, odd golf clubs.
timmy0257

Post by timmy0257 »

It's a good stiff Rod but the guides aren't very heavy. What application would you use it for?
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

Depending on what you are targeting, I would think a 3000 or 4000 size reel would be quite adequate. The Shimano Saros would be a good choice at around $140. I am starting to hear some good things about the Penn Battle series. At $110 it might be another good option. The Daiwa SS1600 or Whisker would also be one to investigate.
I have worked on the Daiwa and Shimano reels mentioned. I have not found any significant weakness in either. The Penn battles are either not needing service or too few folks are using them, as I have not seen one yet.
timmy0257

Post by timmy0257 »

Thanks for that. I have a Saros 2500 on a 7'6" Teramar rod which I love. The 5000 series spinning reel which i mentioned ( on a Teramar 7' M rod ) is the "Fierce" series. It was inexpensive, but works well and has brought in many fish so far.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Sounds like a good rod to pair with a Shimano Saros or Symetre 3000. Load the reel with 15- or 20-pound Power Pro braid and use the combo with a heavier leader and popping cork with live bait. Cast out and let it drift behind the boat. Can pick up anything doing that, from big trout and reds to mackerel, cobia, sharks and tarpon.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

fishinfool wrote:Depending on what you are targeting, I would think a 3000 or 4000 size reel would be quite adequate. The Shimano Saros would be a good choice at around $140. I am starting to hear some good things about the Penn Battle series. At $110 it might be another good option. The Daiwa SS1600 or Whisker would also be one to investigate.
I have worked on the Daiwa and Shimano reels mentioned. I have not found any significant weakness in either. The Penn battles are either not needing service or too few folks are using them, as I have not seen one yet.
Jim, I gave a buddy your number yesterday. After you see the battle he's had for less than a year, you may change your mind.
Back to the op, lots of opinions, for me, on a med heavy rod, I'd go no smaller then a 4000 series.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven