Best aluminum bay, flats, and bass fishing boat

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

setty7

Best aluminum bay, flats, and bass fishing boat

Post by setty7 »

Guys,
I just sold my center console 17ft key west. I have the itch to eventually buy another boat. Am looking into an aluminum boat to fish the bay, flats, and lakes with. A couple I like are; G3, alumacraft, xpress, and war eagle. What are y'all's opinion? We like going to the bird rack and hanging out. Would like something that can do well in skinny water and be able to cut through 2-4 seas with little problem. Somewhere in the range of 18-22 ft in length and a center console. Thanks for your input.

Setty
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: Best aluminum bay, flats, and bass fishing boat

Post by Salty Gator »

If you fing an aluminum skiff that cuts through 4 foot seas with no problem, and gets skinny, let me know and I'll sell my pathfinder and get one ;-) . Another couple of brands to consider sea ark, triton and excell. Good luck
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

I sent you a PM
Team Jolly Mon
homboyfsu

Post by homboyfsu »

I got a G3 and it will pound you to death on small waves. Good news it will go into less water.
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

You need two boats :D
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
reelbad

Post by reelbad »

I have a 2072 center console G3 that is good for real shallow water. A 2 foot chop will beat you and the boat to death. If you don't believe me, come by Lee Trailer Sales and take a look at all the welds we have on the boat.
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

Lowe also makes a nice aluminum bay boat
crappielimits

Post by crappielimits »

2-4's is a stretch for Aluminum. The new G3 bay is what I would probably go with. Crest liner and Lowe also make bay style aluminum boats. I would not do the old style G3 deluxes either or xpress.
spoton
Site Sponsor

Post by spoton »

Have you considered a custom build? A friend of mine had these guys build him a boat and could not be more pleased.

https://sites.google.com/site/custombuiltaluminum/
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

I HAVE A STARCRAFT ALUM. 18 FOOTER BAY AND IT IS GREAT, SEMI-V WITH 24 INCH SIDES. IT IS A RIVITED ALUM. AND I HAVE HAD A COUPLE OF RIVITS LEAK MAYBE A TABLESPOON FULL OF WATER IN 8 HOURS FISHING, GONNA GIVE IT A COAT OF POLY PAINT WHEN I GET ABLE TO DO ANYTHING AGAIN, THAT WILL SOLVE THAT PROBLEM. I HAVE A 85 HP EVINRUDE V-4 THAT PUSHES IT ALONG ABOUT 45 MPH, GETS ABOUT 6 MILES PER GALLON ON FUEL. THE KICKER IS A 1985 YEAR MODEL AND STILL RUNS SMOOTHE AS SILK. I THINK I NEED TO PUT IN A NEW WATER PUMP AND BASE IN IT, NOTICED THE PEA HOLE WAS NOT SHOOTING THE WATER OUT AS FAR AS IT USE TO. I HAVE BEEN WELL PLEASED WITH THIS BOAT AS A FLATS BOAT OR LAKE BOAT FISHING FOR SPECKS AND BASS. THE ONLY PROBLEM I HAVE HAD HAS BEEN THE WIND PUSHES IT PRETTY FAST WHEN THE WIND GETS UP OVER 15 MPH, OTHERWISE THE WIND PUSHES IT ALONG AT THE JUST RIGHT SPEED FOR CASTING TOP-WATER PLUGS FOR TROUT AND REDS.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

it is a Ford vs Chevy question. lots of nice aluminum boats on the market. I've been very happy with my Xpress and it has comfortably taken me to many places where big fish live. I can run to the bird rack pretty much any day that you should be on the water. Primary factors to consider when picking the correct boat:

thickness of aluminum
beam
deadrise, if any
draft
HP rating
price

If you know your preference for the above, then you'll probably be down to a couple models.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
Bluewave

Post by Bluewave »

All I can say is a lot of the guides have the express boats and can get in the thin water. Haven't seen a dual purpose that goes into 2-4's though.
Price3275

Post by Price3275 »

Let me start off by saying I am NO expert. But I have a 2013 G3 1966 side console (went with side console for more floor space)with a Yam 115 4stroke on an aluminum Magic Tilt trailer. It is great in skinny water, and will run in the low 40s fully loaded with 3 people. It's a super stable boat, I liked that for taking the kids. Fuel mileage is excellent. I have had absolutely no problems mechanically so far. (around 300 hours on motor) With that being said, it will beat the teeth out of your head in any chop over 2'. Not unsafe, just uncomfortable. G3 is making a bay version now that has quite a bit more deadrise, and looks like it would do better in rough water than my boat does.