St. Marks east

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

wallisam

St. Marks east

Post by wallisam »

I fished out of St. Marks for the 1st. time last month. I fished near the lighthouse in shallow water, 2 16" trout and several short ones, the bite was off that day. I see people posting about fishing east of the lighthouse, my question is, how far east would a guy have to go to get into possibly good fishing? thanks in advance for any tips.
lordsfisher
Site Sponsor

Re: St. Marks east

Post by lordsfisher »

Glad you got out. There are plenty of fish in all directions from the lighthouse including in the river, close and far. Of course there are seasonal changes. If you caught a couple trout, you're well on your way. The learning curve out there with navigation is steep. Look at GoogleEarth and find older satellite images until you see the area at low tide. You'll see there are lots of oyster beds close to the lighthouse. As you go east, first you'll go through the mine field of crab traps, so watch those buoys. If you draw a line starting due south of the lighthouse, and going east about 1.25 miles, you'll start to encounter rocks. Go a bit further and you'll be in the middle of the rock garden. This link has many of the GPS for rocks. Names like Prop Eater and Death Rock give you an idea of what I'm cautioning about if you run inside the refuge boundary markers (i.e., within a mile or so of the shore).

http://www.bigbendfishing.net/phpBB3/vi ... ing#p57152

There are four main rocks that are referenced regularly here starting from the west side of the Rock Garden: Black Rock, Peters Rock, Gray Mare Rock, and Cobb Rocks.

Is the fishing so much better to the east that it's worth risking your boat? It used to be, but now there's so much pressure in those areas. So that might be a topic of debate here.
"O LORD Almighty, blessed is the man who trusts in you." Psalm 84:12
wallisam

Post by wallisam »

Lordsfisher, thanks for the advice, will try to avoid the rock garden. with any luck I should be fishing by 7:30 a.m. "come on fish"
lordsfisher
Site Sponsor

Post by lordsfisher »

Good luck out there. Went out yesterday afternoon. Started out for cobia near the channel, then trolled in 6' to 9' further east for Spanish, but it was too rough for both with some swells over 3' which the banging was hurting my buddy's back. So went through the rock garden on to the northwest side of Palmetto Island. Nothing except two sail cats for a lot of hard fishing. Hope you do better. Try to post how you do.
wallisam

Post by wallisam »

thanks for your info. no trout, 1 short red, 1 short Spanish, many cats and ladyfish, but I did find 3 flounder. saved the day. thanks again
lordsfisher
Site Sponsor

Post by lordsfisher »

Considering the conditions, I think you did outstanding. Thanks for the report
FUTCHCAIRO

St. Marks east

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

HEY LORDSFISHER, IS THE ROCK YOU ARE CALLING BLACK ROCK THE SAME ROCK THAT HAS BEEN CALLED something else FOR THE LAST 100 YEARS?
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
lordsfisher
Site Sponsor

Post by lordsfisher »

Yep PA, that's the same one. I'm sure you understand the change... didn't want to offend one of my black brothers or sisters on here (Acts 17:26). I sure would hate to hit one of those rocks running wide open. On a different topic, PA, I stumbled on an old post you made about our friend Carl Brown. "ONE DAY CARL BROWN AND I WERE HEADIN HOME FROM THE BAY OVER IN THE RESERVE. YOU KNOW WHERE I AM TALKING ABOUT, WHERE THEY HAVE THE NICE COVERED TABLES THAT ARE IN CLOSE TO THE REST ROOMS. THERE WAS A LITTLE OLD WOMAN STANDING ON TOP OF THE TABLE WITH A POODLE IN HER ARMS AND THERE WAS A GATOR ABOUT 5-10 FT. LONG TRYING TO CLIMB UP ON THAT TABLE TO GET THAT POODLE. WE TOOK OUR SMALL BASEBALL BATS AND DROVE THE GATOR OFF BACK INTO THE AJACENT POND. THAT POOR LITTLE WOMAN ALMOST PASSED OUT, WE GOT HER TO LAY DOWN ON THE BENCH FOR A FEW MINUTES AND SEEMED O.K. SHE SAID THAT SHE WAS GOING BACK TO NEW HAMPSHIRE AND WOULD NEVER , EVER, COME TO FLA. AGAIN."

I got a great laugh out of that one. :lol: Sure do miss ol' Carl.
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

LORDSFISHER, YA DON'T KNOW HOW MUCH I MISS CARL, HE WAS THE BEST FRIEND I EVER HAD. IT IS KINDA ODD, THE MORNING I WENT INTO THE HOSPITAL WITH MY HEART ATTACK, CARL DIED. I HOPE I CAN FIND ANOTHER FRIEND LIKE CARL, MEN LIKE HIM ARE FEW AND FAR BETWEEN.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
lordsfisher
Site Sponsor

Post by lordsfisher »

PA, that's beautifully moving. :( That is very curious about the timing of your heart attack. "My flesh and my heart faileth: but God is the strength of my heart, and my portion for ever." Psalm 73:26 Most of us live a lifetime without having a best friend like him. He tried to be that kind of friend to many... great lesson from his life. :thumbup:
wallisam

Post by wallisam »

ok, gona try st marks again, I've been down a few times this spring and have caught something to eat each time, but not getting the numbers. I'm learning the area, some what, having a great time, only wish I did not wait until I was 70 to start fishing the flats. has anybody found the trout yet? thanks
Last edited by wallisam on May 27th, 2015, 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2true

Post by 2true »

We went Saturday out of panacea . It was very windy in the morning but it smoothed down pretty nice in the evening. We finally got on the trout catching one keeper and one shorts and that it was all catfish lady fish and sharks .
wallisam

Post by wallisam »

windy, 2' chop, some whitecaps, 3 keeper trout, the largest 20.5", 1 red @ 22". took 7 hrs. from ramp to ramp, but hey, I'll take it.