Rock garden report 5-12

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

randymullaly

Rock garden report 5-12

Post by randymullaly »

My beautiful bride (Realtor) recently closed a deal with bman and I promised her a fishing trip as a reward. We floated the boat at the lighthouse at sunrise and ran strait out to the rocks. 3 dozen live shrimp in the live well, bucket of gulp (all assorted coolers and configurations) and a baggie of cut bacon for pin fish bait. Water was at 78 degrees and a light chop. Fished hard till about 11:00 and caught several large (18-24") puffer fish, sharks galore, the occasional catfish and two small trout. Water was smooth when we left and baitfish everywhere (learned that pinfish like bacon more than bacon fat). Just don't understand where the trout went and where these puffer fish came from!
Bofus

Re: Rock garden report 5-12

Post by Bofus »

I appreciate the report as I was considering taking off of work and going tomorrow....I am now reconsidering...
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

don't go to St. Marks... try Lanark instead! Or maybe Mashes, or maybe Keaton? IDK... where da fishes at!?
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

Sorry about that. Has anybody on here tried going out to deeper water (9-10 ft.) to look for trout? Just wondered. Seawater temp is up to 78 now.
Yours in the South
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

I think deeper, salinity and temp.
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
Blue spinner
Site Sponsor

Post by Blue spinner »

i went out to 10 to 12 ft of water about 2 weeks ago no sea bass no trout , we got 1 13" flounder in 2 hr. temp was i think around 74
One thing about the speed of light it gets here too early in the morning
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

Blue spinner wrote:i went out to 10 to 12 ft of water about 2 weeks ago no sea bass no trout , we got 1 13" flounder in 2 hr. temp was i think around 74
Then surely there has been a die off :o
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
crappielimits

Post by crappielimits »

Is it a good idea to start killing these puffer fish?
Blue spinner
Site Sponsor

Post by Blue spinner »

if you can find some grass are remember where there was some last year is where i was found fish in 4 to 5ft. of water
One thing about the speed of light it gets here too early in the morning
randymullaly

Post by randymullaly »

We moved from the rocks to the grass (just west of the rocks) and tried it there for about an hour) 10:00 ish to 11:00 with very little activity. Might have been the tide. It was high tide. Very clear water at about 4 feet. Water so glassy that is seemed hazy. Huge swarms of bait fish moving all around. Everything looked perfect except the absence of the normal fish population this time of year. Any work from Keaton Beach? We had a lot of success on the flats there this time of year.
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Fishing is off right now all along the coast. If you look at the two recent tournaments out of Perry, the winning weights were down and there were a lot of good fisherman fishing from Keaton to St. Marks who did not catch much. Same way with our NFGFC tournament this past weekend in St. Joe. The stringers and total weights were not close to those of past years.

There are so many club members on the water every weekend that we would have spotted a large-scale fish kill or any red tide outbreak if there had been one.

I am not sure where the fish have gone.