SGI-Getting Skunked-HELP!!!

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Fishdawg

SGI-Getting Skunked-HELP!!!

Post by Fishdawg »

We have fished 3 mornings and 2 afternoons. All we have to show are catfish, ladyfish, and a bonnet head shark. The guys at Survivors say its too hot??? We have fished in the middle of July and had much more luck. We can't even scare up a red or trout. We have fished all over Rattlesnake Cove and Goose Island, out towards the grass line, down to East End. We have not fished the bridges or The Cut yet. All reports say that it's very slow. We've tried CT's with Gulp, DOA, shrimp, mirror lures, red fins, top water, jigs w/grubs....not even a short trout. Dang, I hate to give up and fish the surf. Please, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :smt006
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Re: SGI-Getting Skunked-HELP!!!

Post by DixieReb »

The bridge might be good now, I'd go out early morning or late afternoon and watch to see what the other guys are catching. The water's not deep, but when tide is running we have done OK there. Also, there is a 27 ft. hole in front of Goose Island right out of the boat channel that we have done good in years past during hot weather. Look for deep holes and you might find something. We hung a lot of big sharks and sailcats, so I'd carry heavy gear. Also caught some whiting and silver trout. Good luck.
Yours in the South
woopty
Site Sponsor

Post by woopty »

Gonna pick up with the moon comin' on.
"You got time to breathe, you got time fur music..."
...Briscoe Darling Jr.

JB
http://zydecozoo.com
Fish Dawg

Post by Fish Dawg »

We fished SGI last year , when it was hot and only caught fish at sunrise , on the bottom with live mud minnows or what ever we caught in the cast net. Caught some reds and 24" trout from a dock/ pier , bayside , near the cut.We rigged a bead , barrel sinker , bead , swiffel and 12" leader. I hope that helps.
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

I just got back from there, just too ruff. Everything stirred up. Got one rat red wading at the state park.

I go by one rule in the summer, early or late or after dark. Shallow water near a deep hole.

I was told by a guide one time that used Aucilla all year except the summer.
In the summer he moved his fishing to the St George Sound. Said big trout are there.

Keep fishing!!
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
Terrier

Post by Terrier »

Try the Gulf early and late for whiting and trout and maybe a pompano - saw a report from another site that there was some activity in the surf.
flatsbroke22

Post by flatsbroke22 »

I fish SGI a lot and mostly during the hottest months and done really good but like mentioned above you must fish early and late evening. Not much going on during the middle of the day. Get out there at daylight and fish few hours then enjoy the rest of the day on and around the Island. Then try again a couple hours before sun down. Good luck!
2002 Pathfinder 2200v ‘21 200 Suzuki
2true

Post by 2true »

^This^
Fishdawg

Post by Fishdawg »

Thanks guys! Between the moon and early morning winds it's been tough for sure. I wish I could launch in the state park at daylight, but they open at 8am. All day we have been saying "remember the time...!" It looks like this is going to be one of those low markers for us. But hey, we've got until Saturday to figure out those rascals. I guess that's why it's called fishing and not catching. On the bright side, we have ate shrimp about every way that I know how to cook'em. Sure beats work any day! We will keep you guys posted.
Pirate

Post by Pirate »

The wind keeps the water a little to muddy for good trout fishing. Light winds a few days will clear the water and help. SGI has a different bottom than most of the coast and will get muddy quicker.
People that catch a lot of fish fish a lot!
micci_man

Post by micci_man »

Fish the docks for reds the first couple of hrs of the day. Spoons, top water, jigs without a cork. Start fishing at least 30 min before sunrise. Repeat in the late evening.
Don't major in the minor stuff in life
JeffB
Site Sponsor

Post by JeffB »

You might want to try putting in at Apalachicola or the bridge if you prefer and fishing little St. George, west pass, and around St. Vincent Island.
If the wind's been blowing there like it was in Destin the bay is stirred up for sure.
Weather's been kinda crazy since it cooled down so much last Friday.
Williamsdad

Post by Williamsdad »

On Saturday, in the state park, last set of pavillions, ran into an older couple returning from shore fishing on the bayside. They had 3 very nice trout caught on live bait, 2 looked over slot, and real fat. Never fished that side from shore.
Fishdawg

Post by Fishdawg »

We talked to some guides over at Apalachicola, and the fishing has picked up west near Little St George and West Pass. We caught a few today in the surf at the 1st pull off in the state park. The state park hours are 8am-8:30pm, but we talked to the park rangers and they said a yearly pass would give us a gate code to get in earlier and stay later. I wish the tides would cooperate, but it is what it is!
Fishdawg

Post by Fishdawg »

I think we are getting this thing figured out. Moon is changing and water is clearing. We caught 8 trout, 16"-20" on live shrimp under CT's between Rattlesnake Cove and East End.