Pinfish at Econfina?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

big bend gyrene

Pinfish at Econfina?

Post by big bend gyrene »

Prior to this year, launched about 90% of the time out of Econfina for number of reasons (first fished Hickory Mound area from canoe when moved here so learned it fairly well, proximity to home near Wacissa, love the river, lower boat traffic, etc), but enjoying fishing both inshore AND midshore I shifted to St. Marks and Lanark when grass out of Econ took hits the last few years and we quit catching pinfish for bait.

Reason for posting today is to ask if those fishing Econ are seeing the grass rebounding / are catching pinfish again, whether on purpose for bait or just as nuisance getting hits on gulp / plastics?

NOT looking to turn this into a "where have the trout gone" or to discuss general game fish trends out of Econ (other threads already addressing), just looking for pinfish availability updates from those in the know. Really wanting to revisit the old paddling grounds. Miss the river. But really wanting to reliably catch bait too. ANY / ALL info shared very much appreciated, even if by PM. :thumbup: :beer:
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
flatsbroke22

Re: Pinfish at Econfina?

Post by flatsbroke22 »

Haven't been to Econ since April but the pinfish are pretty thick in Keaton so I'm sure they are there as well.
2002 Pathfinder 2200v ‘21 200 Suzuki
Blue spinner
Site Sponsor

Post by Blue spinner »

big bend gyrene i caught a live well full on Friday i was trying to use them for trout and cob but all i caught was a short trout and sharks ,there is still some grass where i fish most of the time
i will be down this weekend give me a call
One thing about the speed of light it gets here too early in the morning
Mr.Avery

Post by Mr.Avery »

My 5 year old son and nephew and I went out of econfina Saturday. I put them to catching pinfish, they filled the live well in 20 minutes.
Good Tidings

Post by Good Tidings »

Sounds good....What size hook and "bait" are you using for pinfish? I've heard everything from Small pieces of Gulp to frozen chicken livers/gizzards, etc...Almost sounds like fishing for bream...
flatsjunky777

Post by flatsjunky777 »

We were there two weekends ago and had more pinfish bites than we have had in about 3 years. Also found some good grass. Its not as spread out as it has been in the past but is making a good comeback.
Mr.Avery

Post by Mr.Avery »

Good tidings exactly like bream fishing we had some frozen shrimp and used a small piece of it.
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Blue spinner wrote:i will be down this weekend give me a call
Sure wish I could Blue Spinner, but looks like I'll be taking the boat this morning for a bit of work. Tried going yesterday and for the first time in 10 years had engine troubles.

Super happy to hear everyone chiming in that the pins are back. :thumbup: :beer: Good tidings, very much like fishing for bream, especially if only use a single hook... and you can tip with almost anything if they're plentiful and fill up the live well. I personally most often use very small pieces of gulp cut from gulp shrimp with the legs and tails ripped off earlier by the same pins when fishing inshore, but they'll eat just about any kind of meat, and even shiny pieces of plastic lures. I most often use sabikis with 6 hooks tipped with gulp to quickly capture a live well of pins, but curse while I do it as those six hooks have a way of hooking everything in sight including clothes, skin, etc. :lol:
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945