Need advice on Penn conventional reels

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

pcbayou
Site Sponsor

Need advice on Penn conventional reels

Post by pcbayou »

Help me out here, y'all. I've always used spinning reels but would like to try two "oldish" Penn conventional reels that my late father-in-law had. One is a Peer 109, and the other (much larger) is a Long Beach 67. I'm cleaning and oiling them now, and I'll try to attach a photo. Any recommendations on rods for each one? Do I need to put backing on the reels before I start spooling monofilament? I found a user's manual for the 109 that recommends Dacron backing.
Attachments
Penn reels.jpg
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Re: Need advice on Penn conventional reels

Post by fishinfool »

Wow, those sure have a few years on them.
Before I get started, both are good and capable reels and worth putting back in service.
I have some parts for the Peer if you need them. On the side plate side you should see a cap that is labeled "pawl" or "spare Pawl" There might be a spare level wind pawl in there if you need one. The level wind function will start getting intermittent and the line will bunch up on one side, usually the left, when the pawl needs to be replaced.
Backing is a matter of preference. It depends on if you are planning to use mono or braid. Braid can get expensive in the amounts it will take to fill those reels, so some mono or dacron backing might be the way to go. The Peer should handle some pretty good size fish and of course the Long Beach will handle larger than that. In either case I would recommend replacing the drag washers on both. If I remember correctly the original washers were leather and might not be of any good use now.
A medium to medium heavy stand up rod would suit either reel fine. You should be able to successfully cast the Peer if you wanted to use it for Cobia or Kings. The Long Beach has a slow but powerful gear ratio. If you plan to use it for Snapper/Grouper it might be tough getting them out of the rocks before they cut you off.
Good luck with them. If you need anything give me a call or send a pm.
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

WOW…where else could you get good advice like that?

fishingfool, sure sounds like you know your stuff!
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
pcbayou
Site Sponsor

Post by pcbayou »

Yes indeed, SS-342. I'm grateful for such good help. The cleanup didn't start well: Apparently I stripped threads on a bearing on the Peer when I took off the oil cap/handle screw. The screw won't go back in, and the old bearing threads now look chewed up. I ordered another bearing online, but next time time I'll know to check with reelrepairbyjim first.

Will I need to use backing with mono line, or can I just put on mono by itself? Maybe thicker mono as backing, tied onto the size I'll use to fill the spool? I'm thinking maybe 15-pound test to fill the Peer and 40- to 50-pound for the Long Beach. I'm not familiar with using backing or using dacron, being so young and inexperienced. (Well, OK; just one of those two).

Luckily, the Long Beach appears to be in good working shape. I'll probably try to clean and oil it from the outside as much as I can. After looking at the diagram, I'm not sure I'm ready yet for disassembly.

Thanks again for the advice.
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

If you plan to use mono only, backing is probably not needed. Backing is just another name for something to partially fill the spool before putting on the prefered line for fishing, that can also be used if you get into a fish that takes more line than you expect. Some folks like a line of larger diameter, that is the same test rating. Some a higher rating. Some don't care as long as it fills the spool. Personally, I think backing should be of equal or less breaking strength. When there is that much line out, the resistance of the line through the water has a negative effect on the reels drag. The fish is able to put more stress on the line before the reel's drag starts working, and can then break you off.
If you take the side plate screws out from the NON handle side of the Long Beach, you will be able to easily remove the spool. This will allow you access to the handle side gears and bearings without disassembling the mechanism. A few drops of reel oil, such as Reel X, applied to the gears and a drop or two in the handle side bearing as well as the side plate bearing, should be sufficient.
Re-assembly should be easy enough. Those screws are chrome plated brass. Do not over tighten them. They can break. They should be good and snug, but not tightened like you were trying to hold it permanently.
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

pcbayou wrote:Help me out here, y'all. I've always used spinning reels but would like to try two "oldish" Penn conventional reels that my late father-in-law had. One is a Peer 109, and the other (much larger) is a Long Beach 67. I'm cleaning and oiling them now, and I'll try to attach a photo. Any recommendations on rods for each one? Do I need to put backing on the reels before I start spooling monofilament? I found a user's manual for the 109 that recommends Dacron backing.
The important thing is to do what makes you happy, and that you are having fun with your fishing, and your gear. Since I grew up in the fishing business, I inherited reels from my parents and their long closed Tackle Shop, mostly old Penns and Mitchells. I used them for a few years long ago, but now they are cleaned up and mounted on my man cave walls as memorabila. The components and the mechanisms just don't hold up, and require a lot more maintenance, and I have long ago replaced them with modern Shimanos and Daiwas. They are heavy and awkward to use, but they do bring back memories, and we caught some great fish with them.

I would consign those reels to the same use: nostalgia mounts in the den. But they surely can be still used, so have fun and fish them if you want to.

EJ
pcbayou
Site Sponsor

Post by pcbayou »

Thanks very much, guys. I'll see how the refurbishing goes before I decide how to use these old gems. I don't really have a big snapper/grouper reel, and the Long Beach might haul in one or two on the right rod. Otherwise, I'll just clean it up and put it back in its honored place with other family displays. I've already matched the Peer with a spare rod I have. So it's more likely to see action.
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

I fish with spinning reels, in-shore, and spool them with PowerPro line---the whole spool. After several years use the line is pulled off the reel and put back on in reverse order. Then after several years about a forth of the line is cut, the remaining line pulled off, the cut forth put near the spool and tied to the used line which was near the spool. That way I've used both ends and the middle over several years fishing.

But, this is a different game than you'll be playing with those reels. EddieJoe gave good advice. Like most everything else, improvements are made over the years and some of those improvements sure are nice.

I'd enjoy what I had and retire them early when possible. Be sure to take pictures of the big fish caught with the old reels to hang on the wall near them in days to come.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
Mister Mullet

Post by Mister Mullet »

If the Penn 67 has a three-piece spool (a center hub and two side plates) then you should use backing (dacron or cotton, not nylon) if you are going to use mono. Don't tie your mono to the backing, and add backing only to the top of the spindle. Monofilament line stretches when you're fighting a fish and when you wind it back on the reel a tremendous amount of pressure builds up and the side plates pop off the spindle. It's called "spreading the spool" and you won't be able to reel in line. You don't need backing on a solid spool, which your reel probably doesn't have. I have a box full of broken, spread spools. On the plus side, the Penn Longbeach 67 has a 2:1 retrieve ratio, which is powerful and good for winching grouper and snapper off the bottom. The spool only turns two times for every one turn of the handle. The modern counterpart is the red Penn 113 H (high-speed 4/O) with a 4:1 retrieve. Good for getting your line in faster, but not good for winching fish off the bottom. Think starting off in third gear instead of first gear. I'd use it. They don't make them that tough any more. And if you do spread the spool, a solid 4/O spool will fit.
pcbayou
Site Sponsor

Post by pcbayou »

Thanks, Mister Mullet. The 67 does have the side plates, so that's good to know.