Small craft advisory. . . . .

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

So who said "We're going anyway"? We decided not to go because of the weather. Who all went scalloping today? And how did you do? We will be going on the 3rd (weather permitting) Any pictures from the ramp Lol. ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Re: Small craft advisory. . . . .

Post by DEMON »

Didn't go either. Can you image the stampede back to the ramp when the thunderboomers start.
mrbigglesworth

Post by mrbigglesworth »

We went. Waited until the first line went by then ran out. There were still hundreds of boats out there. Pretty rough out there. Found a few scallops. Not nearly as thick as they were several years ago. We didn't have to deal with the ramp so can't speak for that.

Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

mrbigglesworth wrote:We went. Waited until the first line went by then ran out. There were still hundreds of boats out there. Pretty rough out there. Found a few scallops. Not nearly as thick as they were several years ago. We didn't have to deal with the ramp so can't speak for that.

Where did you go?

Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

DEMON wrote:Didn't go either. Can you image the stampede back to the ramp when the thunderboomers start.
. That's for sure. Would have been fun to watch from under a shelter.

mrbigglesworth

Post by mrbigglesworth »

Right in front of black rock.

bigblister
Site Sponsor

Post by bigblister »

Picked up a good many at Dekle and south of Grassy. I counted 121 boats at Dekle and over 200 boats south of Grassy.
Blister
Matthew 4:19
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

There were about a hundred boats near Black Rock today. There is probably not a scallop left in that area, given the number of dive flags I saw.
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

mrbigglesworth wrote:Right in front of black rock.

That area was where I had planned to go today.

Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

bigblister wrote:Picked up a good many at Dekle and south of Grassy. I counted 121 boats at Dekle and over 200 boats south of Grassy.
. Good you got em. What were the seas like there?

bbb

Post by bbb »

We were just south of black rock. Ended up with almost a quart zip lock bag of meat. Kids had a great time. When the sun peaked out we found em good. Unfortunately it was cloudy 80% of the time we were there, 10am- 2pm.
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

bbb wrote:We were just south of black rock. Ended up with almost a quart zip lock bag of meat. Kids had a great time. When the sun peaked out we found em good. Unfortunately it was cloudy 80% of the time we were there, 10am- 2pm.
. No rain? How choppy was it? Glad you found some.

lonesouth
Site Sponsor

Post by lonesouth »

my dad went out yesterday with helping hands anglers and said they had a great time, conditions were good. in light of that and the amazing weather we had in town all day, we are going to head out this morning and see what we can find, if it is too rough heading out then we will make it a trip up the wakulla instead.
850-273-8818
bbb

Post by bbb »

Hit-n-Miss wrote:
bbb wrote:We were just south of black rock. Ended up with almost a quart zip lock bag of meat. Kids had a great time. When the sun peaked out we found em good. Unfortunately it was cloudy 80% of the time we were there, 10am- 2pm.
. No rain? How choppy was it? Glad you found some.

A shower came through when we were launching at 8:45am but other than that no rain. Rain passed south of us most of the day. Water had a slight chop but visibility under water still fine.
lonesouth
Site Sponsor

Post by lonesouth »

well, we got out and it was a slightly rough ride. If those are 3-5' seas, I should be good to go in up to 6-7. The wind didn't really pick up till about 12:30. I thought visibility was good, there was a bit of "dust" in the water, so you couldn't see distance, but seeing to the bottom wasn't a problem. The overcast didn't help for spotting the scallops though. All said, we came home with about 1/2 cup shucked for 2.5 hours of looking. Depth was about 5-6' and we were a couple 100 yards east of the rock garden. A young lady with FWC(i think) was asking people returning how they did, and told us the best she had heard was a boat with 6 people getting four gallons in about 3-4 hours. I blame the chop and the lack of sunlight for the dismal catch, as the survey indicated this should be a banner year at st. marks.

In other news, I finally got a chance to test out my home built stick it pin, and man it is so much easier and faster to deploy and retrieve than my danforth. It held very well till the wind started ripping. Thankfully I noticed before the boat got too far, but when I took off and left the wife in seas, she sure was upset when I picked her up.
850-273-8818