I'm LOSING SHARKS! HELP!!!

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

DOC23

I'm LOSING SHARKS! HELP!!!

Post by DOC23 »

Alright Shark Pro's!!!! Need help here. I'm fishing at Bald Point from the surf. I have hung into several sharks and LANDED ZERO!!! Had 2 run my line out. All the others are grabbing the bait and running only for them to drop the bait. I need any suggestions!! I have 2 days left on my vacation and its on my bucket list to catch a 6-10 ft shark. My rods are lined with 80lb braid...and a 180lb steel leader, 8\0 circle on one rod and 7/0 circle on the other. My drag is set fairly light at the beginning so that they do not snap the rod on impact. I feel like I need a 500 yd spooled baitcaster reel with 500lb test!! Help please
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Re: I'm LOSING SHARKS! HELP!!!

Post by MudDucker »

DOC23 wrote:Alright Shark Pro's!!!! Need help here. I'm fishing at Bald Point from the surf. I have hung into several sharks and LANDED ZERO!!! Had 2 run my line out. All the others are grabbing the bait and running only for them to drop the bait. I need any suggestions!! I have 2 days left on my vacation and its on my bucket list to catch a 6-10 ft shark. My rods are lined with 80lb braid...and a 180lb steel leader, 8\0 circle on one rod and 7/0 circle on the other. My drag is set fairly light at the beginning so that they do not snap the rod on impact. I feel like I need a 500 yd spooled baitcaster reel with 500lb test!! Help please
We always have just a clicker on until we strike. Let them play with it until you have a pretty steady pull for a couple of minutes before striking. It is best to let them swallow and then cut the line after you catch them.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
DOC23

Post by DOC23 »

I would love to let them have my bait for a minute....but I only have 270-300yds of line lol. Im only guessing that the way some are hitting my bait that its black tips and sometimes Bulls. All of my bites have been off of Stingrays
Can'tCatchAnything

Post by Can'tCatchAnything »

If the sharks are taking the bait and spitting the hook you may not be using a big enough hook, or there isn't enough gap in the hook for a solid set.

Good luck out there.
woopty
Site Sponsor

Post by woopty »

Like MudDucker said...
let them munch on it for a bit before you hit them.
Also, be sure your leader is longer than the fish you want to catch...
Wire leader is useless if the leader is a couple feet long on sharks as their skin will snap the braid.
"You got time to breathe, you got time fur music..."
...Briscoe Darling Jr.

JB
http://zydecozoo.com
DOC23

Post by DOC23 »

Wooopty, from what I can see of the sharks they are anywhere from 5'5 - 8ft long. How would I rig up my weight(3oz) if my leader is at least 6ft long? I am casting my bait...no kayak is being used.