Alligator Point 5/22/04

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

fish finder
Site Sponsor

Alligator Point 5/22/04

Post by fish finder »

Left the dock around 7 with a crew of 4, Ron, Joe, Ed, and Bruce for a day of grouper gettin. After loading the live well with many pinfish headed to a couple of spots that had been good in the past couple of weeks. Well, we found what everyone else is finding, the grouper don't like to eat the bait when it is covered in green/brownish slime/seaweed/algee or whatever it is. Anyway after managing to put a couple in the box, I decided to head SE thinking the algee might not be there. Wrong :-? We encountered it at every stop we made. Well the guys were having a good time despite the slime. The seas were gracious all day and the water temp was 78-80. We also tried Ly's, squid, and sardines as well as the live bait. We had bites on everything as long as you could get the bait to the bottom for a few minutes without getting slimed. My rule for the day was, if you havn't got a bite in a couple of minutes, pull the bait up and clean it. :-D We also got in on some AJ action but none quite made the cut. It was tough for Ed who caught a pair of them, his first, to have them go back just a little short. It was a great day on the water, the company couldn't have been better and there was enough fish for all.
Final tally was 10 keepers, 28" being the biggest, with a couple of barely legal red grouper rounding out the catch. Of course, we had alot of shorts and few ruby lips thrown in for fun.

Capt. Jay
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

WTG. Sounds like you had fun, even if you got slimed.
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

wtg.. :thumbup:
Knot Yet

Weather please stay!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Knot Yet »

I'm still in Okla. city at training school. Wind has been blowing 20 knots for two weeks straight. I will be back memorial day weekend, hopefully fishing sat. morning. I have been checking all of your fishing reports and I wish I was out there fishing also. Please leave some fish for me, I can't wait to get back!!!! See ya, Knot Yet out!!!!!!