Fall Upland Bird Camp

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Danibeth

Fall Upland Bird Camp

Post by Danibeth »

So, I left Montana the 11th after three weeks of getting to play hooky from work and do nothing but enjoy the scenery, good food, lots of birds and new places and great friends. I met Steve out in Spokane. He picked Drake and me up at the airport and off we went on Sept 22. It was tons of fun. I didn't want to go home. I especially didn't want to be back at work. But I have lots to look forward to next year. Well, I left Drake with Steve so they could work their way back to FL and let Drake get to stay at upland bird hunting camp and see what new things he learns. I do require daily updates on my boy and how he did in school and what sorts of adventures they had.

My last day in Montana:

Drake has been having a lot of fun with the pheasants and the occasional sharptails and huns while Steve's been finding some really nice sheds and skulls. Night time is spent relaxing in a kingly fashion in Steve's new to him camper. There have been a few days off for weather and laundry, but otherwise he's had classes everyday in pheasant and hun and sharptail studies. I do have to say that sharptails have gotta be the hardest birds I've ever hunted with a flushing dog. Pointy dogs definitely excel with the sharptails, but in the right conditions, Drake has proven himself quite adept at handling sharptails.

He is one pampered bird camp student

But he makes up for his pamperedness and from what I've heard, he's living up to the Superchargedness

And isn't Montana great?!?!?!

I miss my black dog but he is learning lots, figuring things out, having lots of fun and finding lots of birds. And these are just some of the daily report card pictures I get from Steve to let me know how my boy is doing in school. There are LOTS of pictures from my trip that are still on the camera that we haven't gotten to yet and when we do, there will be lots more pictures and stories told from my adventures out to Montana.

Danibeth
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Re: Fall Upland Bird Camp

Post by Sir reel »

Great report, I really enjoyed it... sure wish I could still pick up a shot gun!

Thanks
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
guthooked
Site Sponsor

Post by guthooked »

Always enjoy your posts. Looks like you all had a lot of fun.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Looks great. Thanks for posting
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

:thumbup: :thumbup:
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Stop, you must stop this posting of idyllic hunting settings. Don't you know how jealous you are making the rest of us poor working stiffs? I may need therapy after this posting. :smt010 :thumbup: :smt005
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Danibeth

Post by Danibeth »

Thanks y'all! When we get through all the pictures on the camera, there will be another series of posts of my adventures out there and all the birds we got into. For now, these are just cell phone report cards on my black dog.

Sir Reel. I'm sorry to hear you can't pick up a shotgun anymore. I hope that when I reach that point, I'll have someone to live vicariously through.

Mudducker.......hey I'm back to being one of those poor working stiffs. I'm back to sitting in my office with no windows trying to figger out how I can go back, while I'm getting daily updates from Steve on my black dog and all the adventures they're getting into. siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh oh well. Duck season will be here soon.

Here's a few more from yesderday

Drake decided to get some for the girls.

And a bit of phone mail

MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Yea ... Danibeth is mortal .... yea! j/k :smt005

As for duck season, I got a call two days ago that about a 100 acres of a picked corn field had recently been accidentally flooded. My friend saw what he thought to be about a 1000 birds. He went by the next day and they had excavator cutting the dike to drain the pond. I instructed him to go and disable that excavator quickly, but alas, he was unable to. I told him to put up signs at the highway that Duck Lives Matter!

Today it is a mud flat with no ducks. :smt010
Danibeth

Post by Danibeth »

And OF COURSE I'm mortal BUT life is short doncha know. Do it while you're able. No guarantees that when I retire I'll be able to go on my adventures. :D

That is a MAJOR bummer about the corn field that got drained. That's a VERY VERY sad thing.

Another report card. Drake's really learning the ins and outs of pheasant hunting and apparently doing quite well. Wish I were there to see how well he's working now. Who knows, perhaps the boy will still be spry enough next year to go next year. Plus, they're seeing neat old things.

MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Danibeth wrote:And OF COURSE I'm mortal BUT life is short doncha know. Do it while you're able. No guarantees that when I retire I'll be able to go on my adventures. :D

That is a MAJOR bummer about the corn field that got drained. That's a VERY VERY sad thing.

Well, I made a choice to have children. I know have one at UGA in her junior year. She and my money are having a LARGE time! When she gets out, I am gonna get back on the hunting adventures. Well, to be honest, I can't cry too much. I am leaving in November to spend a week in Argentina shooting the grey ghosts. Supposed to be a lodge with 5 star cooks! :-D

I am still very sad over the corn field. I am also sad that my backhoe has issues and I didn't get it repaired in time to get my new pond ready to plant in corn. I will do better next year!!!!!

I miss my old black dog. His name was foolish and he lived up to that name when he was a pup. At 2 years old, the bell rang and his genes popped out. That pup would hunt!
Danibeth

Post by Danibeth »

Where in Argentina will you be? Have a great time!!!!!!!! I enjoyed Argentina the two times I went. If I went back, I'd go with a different lodge, just so that I could go to another part of the country, though where I went I was not disappointed in anyway. It was a lot of fun though. Take bunches of pictures to post!!!!

I like the name of your old black dog. Mine should've been named hoover. I swear I've had to hold his food bowl down so he doesn't inhale the bowl too
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Danibeth wrote:Where in Argentina will you be? Have a great time!!!!!!!! I enjoyed Argentina the two times I went. If I went back, I'd go with a different lodge, just so that I could go to another part of the country, though where I went I was not disappointed in anyway. It was a lot of fun though. Take bunches of pictures to post!!!!

I like the name of your old black dog. Mine should've been named hoover. I swear I've had to hold his food bowl down so he doesn't inhale the bowl too

We will be about an hour and a half from Cordoba. I am not a picture man. We used to call that evidence. :o :-D

My son had a yeller dog named Cracker. I thought he should be named Houdini, because he could make grub disappear so fast. You would think the dog never got fed the way he inhaled his food.