Keaton beach marina (closed)

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

SCALAWAG
Site Sponsor

Keaton beach marina (closed)

Post by SCALAWAG »

Keaton beach marina is now closed (as of today) Sea Hag chose not to renew the lease from Foley. No information of who might get it next ?
Last edited by SCALAWAG on November 30th, 2015, 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2016 Carolina Skiff 218DLV
Honda 115
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Re: Keaton beach marina

Post by Steve Stinson »

Wow. That was a short - lived business venture. :-?
zload
Site Sponsor

Re: Keaton beach marina (closed)

Post by zload »

:thumbdown:
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

We went down today and sure enough it was closed. Folks said they emptied everything out yesterday. We will miss them. They were good folks to us. Two of the three trailer were gone as well. Sure hope someone will soon have it up and running again.

We also saw the previous owner/operator, Jerry, at the store near dead man's curve. It was so good seeing him once more. Nearly didn't know him for he had lost 80 pounds and he isn't even sick. Way to go Jerry! We wish Jerry would run it again! He is a "people person" and always looked out for folks safety on the water. A good man!
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
wishin2bfishin

Post by wishin2bfishin »

SeaHag is one reason why I stopped going to Keaton. They have not been good for the area, just in it for the dollar
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Makin' a dollar isn't a dirty thing ... its called business. It pays salaries and keeps boat lifts running.

I don't think anyone has done all that well since Shorty, but then Shorty's cost in the marina was nearly nill. Very seasonal business.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

MudDucker wrote:Makin' a dollar isn't a dirty thing ... its called business. It pays salaries and keeps boat lifts running.

I don't think anyone has done all that well since Shorty, but then Shorty's cost in the marina was nearly nill. Very seasonal business.

I was raised about 200 yards from Shorty's old truckstop. Shorty and Selma were characters. I have some real good memories about Shorty, and a few not so good. One of those was the day Selma shot him at the gas pumps.

The man loved to chew on that cigar! He called me "Little Burton", as he was friends with my dad.
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
wishin2bfishin

Post by wishin2bfishin »

Didn't mean that MudDucker. I have a business and am aware of paying salaries but sometimes customer service goes a long way to a customer that will choose what you have to offer over your competition. In my opinion they chose a dollar over their customer base shortly after they took over. People don't forget when you don't treat others with respect. Especially paying people. Sorry for the rant
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

MudDucker wrote:Makin' a dollar isn't a dirty thing ... its called business. It pays salaries and keeps boat lifts running.

I didn't know Shorty but have heard a lot of good comments about him. I also agree with what you said about making a dollar. I don't know why Jerry gave it up but Sea Hag couldn't make the dollar. A lot is about the dollar but that doesn't mean necessary EXPENSIVE!

Yesterday I heard several calling the marina for a radio check. One time another fisherman answered. I guess that is what we need to do until another operator takes over the marina. I hope it won't be long! I miss um!
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Dubble Trubble wrote:

I was raised about 200 yards from Shorty's old truckstop. Shorty and Selma were characters. I have some real good memories about Shorty, and a few not so good. One of those was the day Selma shot him at the gas pumps.

The man loved to chew on that cigar! He called me "Little Burton", as he was friends with my dad.
Shorty was a hoot. We were down there fishing and taking part in adult beverage one evening. He asked me when I came back from the bar next door if that guy still had a gun over the back of the bar. I told him that yes he did. Shorty smiled and said, well he told me he was gonna shot a certain pussle gutted fellow if he came back in. I asked who that pussle gutted fellow was and he grinned and said "ME".

He would chomp on that cigar and have juice running down the crack of his mouth and usually onto his shirt. I think he though cuzzin' that boar lift made it work better. I heard tell of the day Selma put a bullet in him.

Worst thing he ever did while I was there was when the septic tank backed up for the "motel" rooms, he was a little loaded, jumped on his backhoe and dug up the pipes behind the rooms and let everything just run into the trench he dug. That place smelled like lightning had struck the outhouse. Selma gave us our money back the next day.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

wishin2bfishin wrote:Didn't mean that MudDucker. I have a business and am aware of paying salaries but sometimes customer service goes a long way to a customer that will choose what you have to offer over your competition. In my opinion they chose a dollar over their customer base shortly after they took over. People don't forget when you don't treat others with respect. Especially paying people. Sorry for the rant
No problem. It just seems a lot of people are anti-capitalism these days. I am anti let me work while you goof off all days. :-D
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

SS-342 wrote:

I didn't know Shorty but have heard a lot of good comments about him. I also agree with what you said about making a dollar. I don't know why Jerry gave it up but Sea Hag couldn't make the dollar. A lot is about the dollar but that doesn't mean necessary EXPENSIVE!

Yesterday I heard several calling the marina for a radio check. One time another fisherman answered. I guess that is what we need to do until another operator takes over the marina. I hope it won't be long! I miss um!
I heard Jerry could not afford the new lease payments.
jzimmer

Post by jzimmer »

As far as discussion on the marina being expensive I always felt it was a great deal To have a place that close to the fishing, and a motel with with your boat right there. My question to thoese who felt it was expensive is how many of you bought a $5 cup of coffee or a $1 plus bottel of water lately and though nothing of the cost
2DB

Post by 2DB »

Hey to everyone that is concerned about the marina closing, my wife and I have been going to Keaton for years. Because of the service we received from Travis, his family, and Jerry we decided to buy an RV and come to Keaton as often as possible. We were finally able to acheive that and had a spot at the marina. Realizing the marina is an expensive operation to run we tried to buy everthing we could at the marina. When Jerry left the entire picture changed, our rent would have basically tripled, Charlie and his staff threw away our one year old boat cover. He had the gall to tell us that our cover was old and torn which was bull....! Charlie said last week that he was hired to straighten out the marina. What he did was run a wonderful family friendly business that wouldn't leave a boater behind into a profit only business that constantly tried to blow smoke up everyones bottom end. No one can blame any of the great folks that worked the marina during Charlie's tenure but what I experienced last week was par for the course under Charlie. He launched you boat on Friday and took your money knowing that he was cleaning the place out on Monday and didn't have the balls to tell you that he wouldn't be open to take it out.

I sure hope that someone will be able to take over the marina and make it work for their family and for those that frequent it.
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

That pretty much sums up my experience as well. I hope somebody does re-open it. Does anybody know if Capt. Pat McGriff is moving his guide service?