Suffix 832

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

hambric85

Suffix 832

Post by hambric85 »

I'm fixing to re spool a few reels, looking at suffix 832 ghost. Anyone ever used 832? Is it better than pp super slick?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
mpa_72001

Re: Suffix 832

Post by mpa_72001 »

About the same I've been using both of them .I am wanting to order some crocodile braid from unfair lures to try out though a lil cheaper and have heard good things about it too.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

I like it, but not as much a super slick. It seems to fray a little faster than super slick to me. Never tried the ghost. Good luck
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Jhults11

Post by Jhults11 »

Iv used suffix 832 and the regular pp. As SG mentioned, I second that opinion regarding the fraying. The pp last twice as long as the suffix 832. Just my 2 cents. Good luck w it. :thumbup:
"Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after." -Henry David Thoreau
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

I've tried a spool of the 832. Seemed a little stiffer than the Super Slick 8, which made tying a little more difficult. Haven't used the Ghost.

I'm now using Super 8 Slick in 10-pound test on all my bait casters and 3000 class spinning reels. Bump up to 15-pound on the 4000 reels. Most of mine are filled with Timber since the majority of my fishing is out of St. Marks these days, although I do have a couple filled with the Aqua Green. All Spectra line is white originally. Color tints are added with a wax base. The wax coating breaks down after a couple times out so the line becomes more limber. The tint will eventually fade.

I'm getting at least a season out of the Slick 8. If you're on a tight budget you can always reverse the line since the inner wraps rarely get used. Seems like a lot of extra work to me for modest savings, so I just re-spool as needed.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
hambric85

Post by hambric85 »

I've got pp ss blue on all my stuff, 20 & 30#. Just wondering if there is something better.

silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

hambric85 wrote:I've got pp ss blue on all my stuff, 20 & 30#. Just wondering if there is something better.

Roger. Curious, but why so heavy?
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
hambric85

Post by hambric85 »

I go down to Crystal River quite a bit and I've lost too many snook due to 15#. Also if you fish for largemouth in seminole, you gotta be able to pull them through the hydrilla. I only have med & mh rods. Makes trout not much fun, but i try to chase topslot reds vs catch anything. If you go to saint Simons island (aunt has condo there) there is BIG reds there. Been times in a back creek where I needed hvy rods and 50#.

silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Have fished all those spots except Seminole hydrilla. Still prefer lighter. To each his own.

Tight lines.
hambric85

Post by hambric85 »

Seminole in the spring/summer is different. You learn to fish the hydrilla. Pull up 6# bass and 10# of grass! I can cast as far as I need, Dom makes some awesome rods, so I can get away with heavier line. You probably think I'm crazy for using 40# leader for topwater.

mpa_72001

Post by mpa_72001 »

I started off using heavier braided too but now I mainly use 15 lb on all my 3000 series reels the spool will take just about all 150 yards off it and haven't much of an issue with any trout or reds here.
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

I've tried out a bunch of braided line, and it's hard to tell what is better than what. I can tell you that I like the 832; a lot. Better than the PP Slick.
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

I like 832 much better than standard power pro. Casts easier and is smoother. As far as what pound test to use, I choose a braid that is about the same diameter as the equivalent mono. So, I wind up using 20 pt braid on reels that fish nicely with 10 pt mono. Using 10 lb braid to replace 10 lb mono will guarantee wind knots, digging line into the spool, and snap offs unless a long shock mono top shot or leader is used. IMO, 20 lb braid casts better than 10 lb mono but of course it has the braid limitations. I use two spools on my spinners, one with mono and one with braid. The casting reels get braid.

EJ
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

I have been a big fan of the 832 for quite a while. Tried Power Pro like everyone else in the beginning, way too noisy coming through the guides for me. Diamond braid was very susceptible to wind knots. There was another that had almost no abrasion resistance, I wish I could remember what it was. Ohero knotted up something fierce.
My only issue with 832 is finding bulk filler spools locally. It would be nice if a retailer would have it in their filling stations. I have been toying with the idea of buying a spooling machine to offer line with the reel repair business. The number of different lines and diameters makes keeping stock a scary investment situation though.
As far as color of line goes, it does not seem to matter to the fish, from what I have experienced. I will usually use either white or green just because. I contacted Sufix about two years ago and asked them why they do not offer a 15# 832. They told me the way they weave the strands it makes the diameter of 15 the same as 20, so it just didn't make sense. Now I see they are offering a 15# diameter. I guess demand outweighs reason.
Anyway, I will keep using 832 as my preferred line and if demand is high enough I might start spooling reels too.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

fishinfool wrote:I have been a big fan of the 832 for quite a while. Tried Power Pro like everyone else in the beginning, way too noisy coming through the guides for me. Diamond braid was very susceptible to wind knots. There was another that had almost no abrasion resistance, I wish I could remember what it was. Ohero knotted up something fierce.
My only issue with 832 is finding bulk filler spools locally. It would be nice if a retailer would have it in their filling stations. I have been toying with the idea of buying a spooling machine to offer line with the reel repair business. The number of different lines and diameters makes keeping stock a scary investment situation though.
As far as color of line goes, it does not seem to matter to the fish, from what I have experienced. I will usually use either white or green just because. I contacted Sufix about two years ago and asked them why they do not offer a 15# 832. They told me the way they weave the strands it makes the diameter of 15 the same as 20, so it just didn't make sense. Now I see they are offering a 15# diameter. I guess demand outweighs reason.
Anyway, I will keep using 832 as my preferred line and if demand is high enough I might start spooling reels too.
Kevin's has it in their filling station
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven