Aucilla and Econfina sat/sun

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Swampcreek

Aucilla and Econfina sat/sun

Post by Swampcreek »

My wife and I hit the Aucilla saturday morning. Our first time ever going, and I probably won't be going back in my boat. I got to the small island and tried fishing the mouth of the small creeks, had no luck. I threw a live shrimp on the bottom and got a cat. I tried going in a creek but it was too low and hit bottom, then a few rocks on the way out. Had motor trouble, and trolling motor trouble. It wasn't worth it.

We went back to camp and I figured everything out and we headed down the econfina that afternoon. Didn't have a bite all afternoon. At least the boat ran good and I didn't hit any rocks or bottom. That was my second time ever going, and her first time ever going fishing near the flats. We tried glow shad gulps, live shrimp, gold spoons, and bettabite lures. Caught one short red sat afternoon, and got skunked again sunday. The tide was low, about a foot deep everywhere we went.

I tried the mouths of the creeks on oyster creek, then went to the east and trolled back to the mouth of econfina. Maybe it was our lack of knowledge, but we got skunked all weekend. Headed back again this weekend, maybe one of y'all will throw me some tips.
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Re: Aucilla and Econfina sat/sun

Post by SS-342 »

For the first time ever going you did GREAT! Our first time we caught Lizard Fish. That ain't all….we brought them back to the marina asking if they were good to eat. Winter fishing is very different than spring, summer and fall fishing. You have to be right on them to catch them and sometimes they are hard to find. They bunch up in tight groups in warmer water. You'll learn where the "holes" are and you will catch fish. Summer fishing they are still in groups but are spread out into a larger area on the flats. Any time of year you have to find them to catch them.

Read everything on this forum. A few days ago a post was on trolling with a raddle trap. As a child, Dad would let me hold a rod going to the mouth of the Econfina trolling and I caught a few trout and reds.

I'd say you were using the right baits. When they bite good they bite most anything. We switch around kinds of bait and colors until we find something they like.

Anyone who has the BRASS to put in those two rivers will learn to catch fish if their boat last long enough.

It won't be long and you'll be telling folks how to do it.

Trout are being caught in Dallas Creek out near the mouth. If you like fishing a bream bed you would love it.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
countrycorners

Post by countrycorners »

Welcome to the show!
I've been going down to those two spots for about 3 years and can finally say I might have some idea of what I'm doing.
One tip: Always stop at JR's store & buy something...shrimp, coke, peanuts etc. We need to keep him in business!!
Ask for JR & if he's there ask him where the fish are. He is a fine fellow and will tell you enough of what he knows to get you started for the day.
Swampcreek

Post by Swampcreek »

Yea, I stop by and talk to JR every time I have passed by. He is a good guy, showed me where to fish the first time I went out by myself. He put me on some gulps and I caught the limit red and trout that day.(october) Prolly wasn't smart going by myself in water I never been in, but it worked out. I tried to take my wife back to that spot and only caught a short red.

There are some good guys down there. I met one at the store while talking with JR. He saw I had motor troubles and stuck around a min, then stopped back by on his way in to see if I needed a hand. And another couple on the econfina that were nice as well.

Where is Dallas creek? They all look the same
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

Where is Dallas creek? They all look the same[/quote]

It is up the coast from Steinhatchee. You'll need a small boat to get to it by land. There is a landing.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP