How Do You Interpret Fishing Weather Forecasts?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

jslorenz3

How Do You Interpret Fishing Weather Forecasts?

Post by jslorenz3 »

Offshore: I generally check noaa.gov's marine forecast for my intended area of fishing. This gives anticipated wind speed and wave heights. I also use the SeaTow app on my phone to check weather and tides. I also check the NOAA buoy information if there are any buoys in the area (re: I use this when I fish at home near Port Canaveral/Ponce Inlet).

Inshore/Freshwater: I use SeaTow app to get tides information and I use the Weather Channel app to get wind and weather forecasts.

Sometimes my guess about what the weather will be like on a certain day is totally wrong! Maybe the forecasters are wrong? Or maybe I interpret the forecasts wrong. How do ya'll go about deciding if a day is good to fish or stay at home?
Scalp 'em Noles!
FSU Class of 2016
Civil Engineering Major
zload
Site Sponsor

Re: How Do You Interpret Fishing Weather Forecasts?

Post by zload »

If NWS/NOAA/WUnderground/Weather Channel says all clear and low winds and I am going fishing it will be at least a gale, if not a hurricane.

If NWS/NOAA/WUnderground/Weather Channel calls for small craft advisory and I decide to stay home the gulf will look like a fish pond.

If I go offshore regardless of the forecast it will be rough and the fish won't bite.

I have more weather apps on my phone and PC than they do at the Weather Channel and they are usually all wrong when it comes to fishing weather in the Big Bend and Panhandle area.

So much for technology, I'm old enough to remember when the TV weather guy drew the weather map on a posterboard with a marker on LIVE TV and I think they got it right more often than today :(

Or maybe I just have bad luck :thumbup:
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

Red sky in the morning.
Sailors take warning.
Red sky at night.
Sailors delight.

Possibly one of the oldest weather forecast.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
countrycorners

Post by countrycorners »

I read the report then call my fishin buddy and ask if he thinks it will be a good day.
He's lived around here all his life, fishin & huntin, & is usually accurate.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Weatherman is the only person I know who can be wrong more than they are right and still have a job. I use the red sky method, my finger and my weather rock.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

I GENERALLY JUST LOOK AT THE PINE TREES AT THE BACK OF THE HOUSE, IF THEY ARE MOVING JUST A LITTLE BIT I STAY HOME, ALSO CHECK THE SUNSET THE EVENING BEFORE, IT IF IS RED IT IS A GO, I ALSO CALL J.R. DOWN ON ROAD 98, HE IS MOST TIMES RIGHT.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO