Failed NOAA Report Leads to Tripletail Action

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

xXLoneBowmanXx

Failed NOAA Report Leads to Tripletail Action

Post by xXLoneBowmanXx »

My dad came down to visit from Indiana this past weekend and so, obviously we wanted to catch some fish. The initial thought was to do as much near shore, somewhat offshore fishing as possible, but as usual the weather did not want to cooperate. We were able to get out one day and catch (and release) some short gags, but on that day the NOAA "2-3 ft sea" report turned into 4-6 and we got soaked with sea spray on the way in. The next day, NOAA called for 2 ft. or less, so we loaded up with gas and bait, hauled the boat 20 miles to Carrabelle and put in. But as soon as we hit the mouth of the Carrabelle river we could see that the inshore waters were already at 3 ft (good times! :smt011 ). Not wanting to waste the day we chose to load up and drive over to St. Marks in hopes of finding some reds and trout, possibly a straggling cobia. After buying some frozen shrimp, we jetted out to the flats. Right off the bat we picked up a small red and a keeper mackerel, but the bite slowed after that. So we chose to pull anchor and just let the current push us around the flats. Throwing top water lures and jigs rigged with gulps as we drifted, the bite was still slow. We picked up a 3 ft. black tip and a few catfish and were just about to call it a day when something amazing happened... I tossed the top water lure up next to a crab pot, and hit pay dirt immediately! I hauled in a 14 inch tripletail that had 3 others following him! Kicked the anchor out and re-rigged with a popping cork and frozen shrimp and we were hitting tripletail as fast as we could get our lines out. We fished every crab pot we could until the tide went slack, boating a total of 8 trips with 3 of them being keepers. I owe NOAA an apology... without their consistent incompetence we would never have found that delicious tripletail dinner!
NOAA reports are the reason I have trust issues.
Phil. 4:8

Re: Failed NOAA Report Leads to Tripletail Action

Post by Phil. 4:8 »

Thanks for the report. Never targeted tripletails at St. Marks. But, you can bet I'll have a cork rig ready for the next crab trap I see.
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

:thumbup: :thumbup: That's all right!! Good time with your Dad, I'm sure he enjoyed it.
Yours in the South
xXLoneBowmanXx

Post by xXLoneBowmanXx »

Thanks! I definitely think he will be back to catch more fish!
wally
Site Sponsor

Post by wally »

Never caught Triples out of St Marks, picked up a couple off Alligator Point. Glad ya'll caught some
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Post by DEMON »

Never even heard of trips around St Marks. Nice work.
xXLoneBowmanXx

Post by xXLoneBowmanXx »

I was definitely surprised to find them out there. Odd as it sounds when I stopped into shields for some frozen shrimp that day, I asked the guy if anyone had been getting cobia and he said, "No... But people have been reporting catching a lot more tripletail in the area this year."

So, for whatever reason, the trips seem to have migrated over that way. Hoping to get back out there this weekend, if the weather clears up.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Nicely done. Bet your Pops had a good time.

I've seen an occasional tripletail in Apalachee Bay over the last 15+ years, but it's rare. Apalachicola has produced several world record catches, however.

The fish come in to spawn in the spring and apparently require the right mix of salt and fresh water. With all the rain/run-off pumping down the Apalach this spring, perhaps the fish shifted east, although we had our share of nasty run-off water as well. Regardless, take advantage while they're here. Great fighting fish and delicious too.

In addition to shrimp (live or fresh dead is preferred, but the frozen apparently is working too), tripletail will take DOA 1/4-ounce shrimp lures plain or under a cork as well as flies like shrimp patterns and Clouser minnows (ones that sink quick).

Just a reminder, size limit is 15 inches and bag limit is two per person per day. Hook and line gear only and treble hooks with live or dead bait is prohibited.

Catch 'em up! And be ready to get on the throttle to get away from the trap lines or buoy chains once you do hook up. :wink:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
xXLoneBowmanXx

Post by xXLoneBowmanXx »

Thanks, silverking! Good to know. I didn't have a lot of knowledge about the patterns or behavior of these fish prior to now. I did want to point out that the fish featured in these pictures were all released. We snapped photos of the first 2 that we caught just so we had proof :wink: and then got to work looking for keepers. The 3 we kept were all 15 1/2 - 16 inches, so no monsters, but they fried up really well. :lick:
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

No worries. Read where you released the small guys! :thumbup:

Just wanted to offer up the regs info for others reading the post who might not know the rules but want to target them. I had to look them up again myself for a refresher.

Tripletail can also be found far offshore, hanging under sargassum weed lines and other floating debris.

Several of the former records from Apalachicola have since been broken, but there's still one remaining on the books: the Men's 16-pound tippet category on fly. It was set by Capt. Corby Dolar in August 2004 and weighed 22 pounds 4 ounces.

Port Canaveral is the locale for more than a dozen world records and the All Tackle tripletail mark was 42 pounds 5 ounces, set in Zululand, South Africa in 1989.

Good luck in your hunt.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Offshore7

Post by Offshore7 »

Phil. 4:8 wrote:. But, you can bet I'll have a cork rig ready for the next crab trap I see.
You and 550 others (see the view count)! Get there early.......