Full Face Mask

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

lonesouth
Site Sponsor

Full Face Mask

Post by lonesouth »

Anyone tried using one of the new style full face masks while scalloping or in general?

https://www.amazon.com/Seaview-Fishbowl ... ninja+mask
850-273-8818
Cranfield
Site Sponsor

Re: Full Face Mask

Post by Cranfield »

Last edited by Cranfield on August 2nd, 2016, 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Also be interested to hear if anyone's actually used one scalloping. While reviews largely seem positive, reading through them I did see a number of people stress it's for shallow-water / surface use and that it isn't really designed for diving... at least one person talked about the volume of air being considerably larger in the mask and theorized it would make diving problematic. Didn't have the time to read through the reviews enough to see if anyone actually spoke about true experiences making shallow water dives.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Clicked amazon's pictures just out of curiosity and did see one person making a shallow dive. Also did a word search through the reviews that were already open and did see this comment... "ONLY USE FOR SHALLOW SNORKELING. The amount of air in the mask causes extreme buoyancy in salt water, I was unable to dive more than 20 ft without extreme discomfort/pressure." So sounds like scalloping in shallow water would be doable, though can't help but wonder if the extra buoyancy thing might get old after a while making dive after dive.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
redbelly7

Post by redbelly7 »

My old lady used one a couple of weeks ago scalloping and she loved it. We were only in 4' - 5' of water though. She felt very comfortable w/ it. She already had been blessed w/ a couple of buoyance issues, but she is able to get her fair share of scallops now.
flatsbroke22

Post by flatsbroke22 »

I looked into these as well. I done a search on THT in the diving section and they acually came out several years ago. All the reports were not good for diving as they hold more air. They had more technical terms I don't understand. Overall they are best for snorkleing in shallow water which sould be good for scalloping. I think one would work great for me as I have a beard and my mask never seals out all the water.
2002 Pathfinder 2200v ‘21 200 Suzuki