Need info 1996 Hewes Livewell

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Jhults11

Need info 1996 Hewes Livewell

Post by Jhults11 »

Hey guys, I'm just about done dialing in the new (to me) boat (fixing random bells and whistles w the boat and trailer). Iv got a question regarding the livewell that is really stumping me. It has a natural fill feature while the boat is moving and has a pump with a relay and switch while standing still. The problem is when I fill the tank, it drains within 2-3 minutes. It doesn't drain into the bilge, but outside the boat either through the pump that pumps it in or the natural fill hose. They both fill the tank from the bottom of the livewell (kinda strange). I have some ideas how to fix this problem, but wanted some feedback from others. Does anyone have this model boat (1996 18' Hewes Bayfisher) and could shed some light on the "strange" situation. Thanks in advance.
"Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after." -Henry David Thoreau
rockyg

Re: Need info 1996 Hewes Livewell

Post by rockyg »

There should be a pvc stand pipe that fits into the fitting in the bottom where the water comes in. This assumes there is a separate overflow to the outside. My old Action Craft had the same setup. The length of the standpipe also controls the depth of the water in the well. A screen over the end will keep your shrimp from going down the drain.

https://www.amazon.com/MARINE-OVERFLOW- ... B005CFCA2Y

Hope that helps. :thumbup:
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
flatsbroke22

Post by flatsbroke22 »

Lots of great info hear. Should find the best answer for your problem. http://mbgforum.com/?_fromLogin=1
2002 Pathfinder 2200v ‘21 200 Suzuki
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
UFBeef

Post by UFBeef »

I have a Maverick not a Hewes, set up shoukd be similar. Definitely missing your stand pipe. There should be one or two nozzles on the side of the livewell. One will be the fill nozzle, should go to livewell pump and thru hull with a shut off valve. If there is a second it shoukd be a recirculation pump, should be another outlet at the back of the well with a screen over. I would suggest buying two stand pipes of varying length, a tall one and maybe a mich shorter one, the overflow of the stand pipe should be the max level the water will get. Use the shorter pipe for crustaceans/shrimp, larger for baitfish.
There may also be another overflow going to the motor well from the livewell, I'd plugged mine, it was useless.
Jhults11

Post by Jhults11 »

Thanks guys.
"Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after." -Henry David Thoreau
UFBeef

Post by UFBeef »

Maverick Boat Group has their own form/website. Anything and everything you would ever want to know about any of their boats. Ton of guys thay have been running those boats for years, great resource if you ever have any issues. Don't know about posting a link to another forum on here, don't want to get in trouble.
Jhults11

Post by Jhults11 »

Thank guys. I ended up calling Maverick boat company last week and had a good talk with one of the head engineers at the plant. I'm glad to see we still have some good American based companies with great customer service! They talked to me with zero hesitation, and were quite friendly. I ended up cutting the main hose coming in from the water pick up/livewell pump and placed a 3/4" one way inline check valve above the livewell pump but before it goes into the fitting to pump in the tank. I added some plumbing tape and some stainless steel hose clamps, some elbow grease, and some serious finite maneuvering in tight places lol (hatch I'm working through is about the size of grapefruit),and that's all she said. I tested it last weekend while on the water and we are in business.
UFBeef

Post by UFBeef »

T and H Marine sells a rectangular hatch that will replace that pie hole so everytime you are working in the bilge it doesn't look like you just got in a fight with a wildcat.