Wakulla Beach 6 November 2016

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Can'tCatchAnything

Wakulla Beach 6 November 2016

Post by Can'tCatchAnything »

Got out to Wakulla Beach at about 1:30 pm to a slack low tide. The wind was blowing pretty hard from north east but the surface was relatively calm. Went out towards the east into the creeks and couldn't stay still. Not wanting to mess with the park-n-pole, I threw out my chute and drifted in about 3 ft. I could see bottom the entire time and started casting a clear/pink bottomed Spook Jr.

The topwater bite was on fire as soon as the tide started moving, almost every cast a hook up or a miss hit. It was for all of only 30 or 45 minutes. Caught a big trout, smaller trout, one in-between, and a few under slot in short order, all on topwater. I was also periodically going to DOA shad under a cork and caught a lizard fish and a small sea bass but was mostly throwing the topwater today.

Biting flies were terrible, I always forget something and today it was DEET, goodness. The water surface wasn't glass but a mild wind chop. I always thought the water had to be smooth as glass to use topwater, but the depth seemed to be more key today. The bites definitely slowed as the tide came up around me, when I went back in to about 2.5-3 feet of water, I was getting bites again.

I wouldn't go as far to say that I know what I'm doing yet, but it's coming along.

kenfly

Re: Wakulla Beach 6 November 2016

Post by kenfly »

Looks like a good dinner!! Looks like you know what your doing, it's working

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Nicely done, CCA. Nothing better than a fast-paced topwater bite! :thumbup:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Phil. 4:8

Post by Phil. 4:8 »

Good job and thanks for posting and pics. A little chop has always helped me with the top water baits. Keep casting.
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

:thumbup: :thumbup: Keep that up and you will have to change your name to catch anything! Topwater bite is awesome.
Yours in the South