Please help a sad MidWesterner

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

drayno

Please help a sad MidWesterner

Post by drayno »

Hi.

I grew up fishing in Northern Iowa and Southern Missouri. This saltwater stuff is completely new to me, given my very poor success I've had a good time though. I've caught a few small trout (not keepers), and two Salt Water Cats (Keepers). What I've been using is 4" Storm Swim Shads in varying color and style with a little bit of shrimp on the top hook for flavor.
I've been going out to St. Marks Lighthouse area, specifically that sand bar about 100 yards to the west of the light house. Anyone have any tips for a wader who has no boat and would like to bring home some impressive fish to "Wow!" his woman? I'm at a loss and haven't had too much luck. I have done better in the fresh water areas of St. Marks with the Bass, but that's like being back in Missouri.
I'm fishing with a Penn 4500SS on a Shakespear 7' Ugly stick using 12 lb test Trilene. For technique I've been bouncing my lure along the bottom of the area after a long cast. I've had some decent bites from what I would guess to be Baracouda, since I get only half the lure back.
I went out with a friend who's a native of N. Florida. He brought in a 22" Black Tip Shark and a 23" Spotted Trout using this method, but I've had no luck. Any advice would be really helpfull.

Jeff
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

For starters drayno, welcome aboard. :thumbup: Now I have no idea where to guide you for the wade fishing. The swin shads your using is a soft plastic and it aint no baracuda eating it up. Its dem pesky pinfish (baitfish) or even short strikin Trouts ( they have a couple big fangs on them. Have you not tried Cajun Thunders, they are a popping bobber, and with live shrimp you may find what your searching for, or a pinfish under the bigger oval CT. But since your wading, this time of year could be hard since that water temp is gonna shoot up, and them Trouts are gonna go deeper, but you may find some here and there. Good luck.
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Welcome aboard, Drayno.

You're in a good area for wade fishing. The sand bar at the Light House is a good spot. There is a deep area between the sand bar and the rock jetty. Try that, too.

The Storm Swimshads should catch fish. But, as Don stated, baits up off the bottom might be more productive. Try a 1/4 oz. jig and most any kind of grub under a Cajun Thunder. And, as Don stated, live shrimp under a Cajun Thunder might even be better. I use about 3 feet of 20 lb. test floro between my jig and the Cajun Thunder. Throw it out there, let it sit a few seconds and snatch it a couple of times. Let it sit again, then snatch it again. Repeat this for the entire retrieve.

You might also want to try some hard baits. Possibly a Mirrolure 7M or a catch 2000.

regardless of what you throw, it's hot! Slow your retrieve way down.

Good luck.
What was I supposed to do today?
GeneO.
Site Sponsor

Post by GeneO. »

tin can wrote:You're in a good area.
First and foremost welcome aboard.

I can't tell you much about wade fishing but if you talk nice to ole Don he'll give you some real pearls of wisdom on catching the ever-elusive Sailcat, as he's our resident expert. :smt064 :smt042

In all seriousness TC's probably forgotten more about fishing this area than most will ever know and Don's been around for a while and catches fish every time he goes, their advice is good.
Tight Lines and Screamin Drag

http://members.fishingworks.com/gosteen/
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

GeneO wrote"

"TC's probably forgotten more about fishing this area than most will ever know"

GeneO, Most days I just forget. :o It's hell getting old.
GeneO.
Site Sponsor

Post by GeneO. »

I know exactly what you mean. I've been running into the same problem lately. I'm taking the advice of Rocky to Apollo in Rocky III.

Apollo: "It's to bad we've gotta get old Rock"
Rocky "Just keep punching Apollo, just keep punching."
Tight Lines and Screamin Drag

http://members.fishingworks.com/gosteen/
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

LOL. :-D
drayno

THank you very much.

Post by drayno »

Guys,

Thanks for the great welcome, as well as the tips TC :thumbup: . I'm definately going to stick around. This site and forum seem to be the best information on fishing in this part of Florida. Thank you very much.

Drayno :-D
Cranfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Cranfield »

I have seen people wade fishing St Joe Bay, Eastpoint to Carrabelle, St George Island, Alligator Point, Bald Point and St Marks.

There are loads of areas where wade fishing must be productive, or these people wouldn,t be doing it.

If it was me, I would go out of my way to meet and talk to them. :thumbup:
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Good morning drayno :D Welcome to the area. Being an original Missourian myself (Columbia) its nice to see the quality of our members on the rise :-D I sort of caught this thread on the tailend but I don't recall anyone mentioning Wakulla beach as a place to wade. Its close and has some pretty good shoreline for wading. I had a good report from last weekend where a couple of kayaker's caught some real nice trout in close at that location. This area does have some fine fish'n but I still like the Lake of the Ozarks , Lake Tanny, Bull Shoals,....... If you can strike up a conversation with Atticus... he knows some good spots.
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".