Flats or Creek?

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

wishin2bfishin

Flats or Creek?

Post by wishin2bfishin »

Thinking about taking my dad Friday to Aucilla area and will be short for time. If anyone will share info, are the fish in the creeks or on the flats. With the lack of cold, I'm wondering where to start
Thanks for any help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hit-n-Miss

Flats or Creek?

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

If water temp is over 65 I would try the flats.
Under that hit the creeks.

FishWithChris

Re: Flats or Creek?

Post by FishWithChris »

definitely not up river. hit the creek mouths, shallow flats, etc...
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Water temp was 68-72 last Sunday in Lanark. Probably warmer now
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
eightwt

Post by eightwt »

Fished goose creek on the fly yesterday. Not a tap.
Dixie Dawg

Post by Dixie Dawg »

Water temp 68 there yesterday. Caught fish in both.
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

Dang, the water is warm for Feb. It was only 59 at Lake Blackshear this weekend. The crappie bite is strong

Team Jolly Mon
tailwaters

Post by tailwaters »

I fished this past weekend out of SM and had pretty good success with the reds along the shoreline and creek mouths. I did venture to the backs of a few creeks but didn't find much activity.
Heath

Post by Heath »

tailwaters wrote:I fished this past weekend out of SM and had pretty good success with the reds along the shoreline and creek mouths. I did venture to the backs of a few creeks but didn't find much activity.
Just Looking to learn, became boat owner last spring. This is my first 'winter' and the fish have not been where i thought. But how are you fishing along the shoreline? are you just drifting and casting around structure?
Its not the arrow, Its the Indian...
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

Your thermometer is your friend for fall, winter and spring. Once the water warms, I rarely look at it, but this time of year, it is way more important to me than depth. Find the pattern and you will find the fish. Find a few willing to bite at a certain temp and then look for that temp. It is usually warmer than surrounding. You are right though, this has been an odd winter (warm!). I have caught fish in places I usually catch in the mid-late spring. But the temp lured me there! After just a couple years of watching the temps, you will be answering where the fish are! It is not fool proof, but like finding any other pattern while on the water.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Heath wrote:
tailwaters wrote:I fished this past weekend out of SM and had pretty good success with the reds along the shoreline and creek mouths. I did venture to the backs of a few creeks but didn't find much activity.
Just Looking to learn, became boat owner last spring. This is my first 'winter' and the fish have not been where i thought. But how are you fishing along the shoreline? are you just drifting and casting around structure?
I fish w tw and we usually pole down a shore line. Fan cast as you go, but they are usually up in/near the grass when the tide gets up. Casting parallel to shore is best. You can drift or use a tm if it's deep enough. Look for mullet and bait. Structure ( rock piles or oyster bars) will also hold fish. Good luck
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
wishin2bfishin

Post by wishin2bfishin »

Thanks to all. Didn't have to twist his arm at all to start getting his stuff ready!

tailwaters

Post by tailwaters »

Heath, Most of my success comes from fishing these waters most of my life. Nothing beats time on the water for learning a fishery. Also most of my inshore fishing is dedicated to reds so if you are looking to learn more about trout, someone else will need to help you with that.

I'm always trying to make a mental note of the conditions (wind speed and direction, time of year, water temp and tide level) when I find fish and also when I don't. The more "data" you collect the easier it will be to focus your attention on productive water. Understanding what the fish are doing in relation to the tides is in my opinion one of the most important things to learn. For the most part redfish don't stay in one spot when the water is moving. Because of this I tend to look for ambush points and get to these locations before the fish do. They normally come in a couple waves so the action can be hot for about an hour then it dies off. At that point move on. When the tide is low I like to sight fish and when it's high rock piles and shore lines can be productive. Some rock piles are more productive than others but I have no idea why. For instance theirs one patch I pass by on most trips that is rarely holding fish. Then theirs another pile 500 yards away that's even smaller but in the same depth. This second rock pile holds fish pretty consistently. Finding the bait will also help you locate fish. If you see a big school of mullet their is most likely a few redfish handing around too. The great thing about mullet is you can see them jumping a long ways off. Be sure not to spook the school when approaching because they will in turn alert the gamefish to your presents. A lot of times you can see what direction the mullet are moving. Be sure to position your boat in front of them so they come to you. Trying to chase them down via push pole or trolling motor is difficult and although you might catch one or two fish, most of the time you end up just spooking everything. If you are stealthy and let them come to you, your chances of success increase and so does the quantity.

Lastly I will add that winter time is the most challenging time for me to hunt reds inshore. With the weather constantly changing it makes pattering them difficult. You might need to move around a lot to locate them. Also half the red population is currently offshore spawning. I've caught slot reds 30 miles out in the gulf while targeting AJ's and grouper. In early spring when I start scuba diving it's not uncommon to have a school of a 1000 fish swim around me. Once the water heats up the slots move back inshore and the bulls move to the cuts. Hopefully this helps and good luck!
Heath

Post by Heath »

wishin2bfishin wrote:Thanks to all. Didn't have to twist his arm at all to start getting his stuff ready!

How did yall do on Aucilla? Plan to start there or SM's on sunday.

thanks for the tips, I will be headed out sunday and will post a report.

If decision is to go t Aucilla on Sunday, Should i have real concern for the rocks if i am just cruising slow and paying attention? I am guessing there are some channel markers at least?
Its not the arrow, Its the Indian...
Dixie Dawg

Post by Dixie Dawg »

Yes there is a very real concern about rocks at the aucilla. No channel markers at all.