Fishing Seasons

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

YankeeFlyGuy

Fishing Seasons

Post by YankeeFlyGuy »

I've been coming down to the big bend for work for about 3 years now and try and fish every time I come. Looks like I'll be moving to the area in the summer of 2018.

One thing I still haven't figured out is the normal "best" time frame for fishing certain species. As I under stand it some of the species migrate and/or move up into the rivers at certain times of the year.

Can someone give me a quick general overview of the best times of the year to chase different fish?
YankeeFlyGuy

Re: Fishing Seasons

Post by YankeeFlyGuy »

Sorry, should have been more specific.

This would be for inshore type fishing from say a 21' or smaller boat.
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

I like to chase redfish all year long
I also like to chase trout all year long.

Grouper, Cobia, etc... all seasonal. There is a wealth of knowledge on this board. Pick a fish and search... (e.g. "Cobia season" will yield great results)
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

It's the same trout and redfish moving around depending on temp. and salinity in the water. Cold weather makes them move up into the rivers and creeks where the water is warmer. Heavy rain will reduce the salinity in the water and move them back out on the flats. Warm weather also moves them out. Water temp below 55-58 degrees look in the creeks, 60 degrees and above look outside on the flats.

Keep in mind there are some resident creek/river fish all year.
YankeeFlyGuy

Post by YankeeFlyGuy »

Thanks! Exactly what I need.

So are cobia and tarpon to only ones that only come through during certain times?

Does the bite slow down completely in the dead of summer?
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Cobia, Tarpon, Kingfish, and other migratory species come up the coast from South Fl and stay with us throughout the Summer. Summer fishing can slow down, but there will be fish to catch all year round. A Summer or two ago, it rained nearly every day, and that year was terrible for fishing, but we have bounced back since then.

I don't normally take Yankees fishin' on my boat, but you seem genuinely interested and may become a resident. I will I. M. you my cell number and take you fishing if you want to give me a call when you are down here. I can cut a lot of time off your learning curve and show you the top 10 lures for this area. :thumbup:

Join the NFGFC if you want to meet a bunch of local fishermen and have some buddies to call if you get in trouble on the water.

- Steve Stinson
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Lots of seasonal species. Pompano, Spanish mackerel, bluefish, jack crevalle and ladyfish are the most common inshore. Arrive when the water temps reach around 68-70 degrees and depart again in the late fall when the temperatures start dropping.

Cobia will start showing up by late March/early April depending on the weather. With the winter we've had this year, I would expect one to be caught off the Panhandle beaches/piers any day now. They usually lag a few weeks behind in Big Bend waters, however.

Not sure where you heard that unfounded rumor, but there aren't any tarpon between Steinhatchee and Orange Beach, Alabama. It's a very strange biological anomaly. :wink:

Seriously, the hotter the better for tarpon. The big push is historically from June and July with some resident/lingering fish arriving by late spring and hanging around until mid-autumn.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Steve Stinson wrote:Cobia, Tarpon, Kingfish, and other migratory species come up the coast from South Fl and stay with us throughout the Summer. Summer fishing can slow down, but there will be fish to catch all year round. A Summer or two ago, it rained nearly every day, and that year was terrible for fishing, but we have bounced back since then.

I don't normally take Yankees fishin' on my boat, but you seem genuinely interested and may become a resident. I will I. M. you my cell number and take you fishing if you want to give me a call when you are down here. I can cut a lot of time off your learning curve and show you the top 10 lures for this area. :thumbup:

Join the NFGFC if you want to meet a bunch of local fishermen and have some buddies to call if you get in trouble on the water.

- Steve Stinson
That is a heck of a nice offer. Southern Hospitality, love it :thumbup:
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
YankeeFlyGuy

Post by YankeeFlyGuy »

Steve Stinson wrote:Cobia, Tarpon, Kingfish, and other migratory species come up the coast from South Fl and stay with us throughout the Summer. Summer fishing can slow down, but there will be fish to catch all year round. A Summer or two ago, it rained nearly every day, and that year was terrible for fishing, but we have bounced back since then.

- Steve Stinson

Thank you Steve! Thanks to everyone else also. I can't wait to learn all I can. My next trip down will right after 4th of July.

I'm planning on moving the whole family down to accept a job offer I have had for a couple years. I will be retiring from the Indianapolis Police Dept in July 2018 and will be working in Medart. Hoping to find property or a house between there and Wakulla Springs since my wife (RN) will most likely be working in Tally. Kids will be in Wakulla schools.

I'm at work right now, I will respond to the IM in a bit.
xXLoneBowmanXx

Post by xXLoneBowmanXx »

YankeeFlyGuy wrote:

- Steve Stinson

Thank you Steve! Thanks to everyone else also. I can't wait to learn all I can. My next trip down will right after 4th of July.

I'm planning on moving the whole family down to accept a job offer I have had for a couple years. I will be retiring from the Indianapolis Police Dept in July 2018 and will be working in Medart. Hoping to find property or a house between there and Wakulla Springs since my wife (RN) will most likely be working in Tally. Kids will be in Wakulla schools.

I'm at work right now, I will respond to the IM in a bit.

As a fellow Hoosier, let me be the first to welcome you to Wakulla county! My family and I moved here about 3 years ago from a town halfway between Indy and Terre Haute and we love it! I don't know if I can show you where the fish are, but I definitely know where they AREN'T!

And, as Salty Gator can point out, I can show you how NOT to operate a boat, lol

Yankee's are taking over!
NOAA reports are the reason I have trust issues.