New Red Snapper Study

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

silverking
Site Sponsor

New Red Snapper Study

Post by silverking »

Senator Shelby Leads the Way for Better Gulf Red Snapper Data
Funding directed toward conducting a census of the Gulf red snapper population

March 14, 2017 – Alexandria, Va. – Due to an effort by Senator Richard Shelby (R-Ala.), the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) will provide a competitive grant toward innovative Gulf of Mexico reef fish survey assessments and technologies. The American Sportfishing Association (ASA) today praised this new program, which it believes will result in a more accurate estimate of the Gulf red snapper and lead to improved fishing access. This $9.5 million grant program was authored by Senator Shelby and directed by the Congress in the 2016 Appropriations Act.

“The sportfishing industry applauds Senator Shelby for creating this program and listening to the thousands of anglers and recreational fishing-dependent businesses who see historic numbers of red snapper resources at the same time the government is cutting back on fishing days,” said Scott Gudes, ASA’s vice president of Government Affairs. “NOAA will be funding external proposals by fishermen, educational institutions and others outside the National Marine Fisheries Service to survey red snapper and other reef fish in areas like oil rigs and reefs where the current government surveys just aren’t looking.”

Gulf red snapper populations are at historic levels. Yet, access for recreational fishermen continues to be held at historically low levels, with the season in 2016 set at just nine days. Many in the recreational fishing community believe that NOAA’s assessment of the population underestimates the true abundance of Gulf red snapper.

Gudes concluded, “We hope these fully-independent surveys and new technology will lead to a new assessment and allocations that better align with the actual abundance of red snapper and its economic impact.”

###

The American Sportfishing Association (ASA) is the sportfishing industry's trade association committed to representing the interests of the sportfishing and boating industries as well as the entire sportfishing community. We give the industry and anglers a unified voice when emerging laws and policies could significantly affect sportfishing business or sportfishing itself. ASA invests in long-term ventures to ensure the industry will remain strong and prosperous, as well as safeguard and promote the enduring economic, conservation and social values of sportfishing in America. ASA also gives America's 46 million anglers a voice in policy decisions that affect their ability to sustainably fish on our nation's waterways through Keep America Fishing®, our national angler advocacy campaign. America's anglers generate more than $48 billion in retail sales with a $115 billion impact on the nation's economy creating employment for more than 828,000 people.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Re: New Red Snapper Study

Post by red_yakker »

:thumbup:
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

That's good. SK, have you ever seen any results from Florida's mandatory Gulf Permit? They still are making us get one annually and it has been a couple of years with no report on the value or outcome of the permit.
I also have had to carry a similar permit when fishing in LA, and they have surveyed me twice, and the data has been used for a year round fishery.

EJ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

I have not seen any results, Ed. I don't normally fish for red snapper so I haven't followed the issue as closely as others. But I can understand the frustration level of permits and no results. The TWIC requirements for licensed captains is a perfect example. Lots of red tape, money out of pocket and then the feds decided it wasn't really that important after all.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

Thanks. Snapper aside, it would be pretty easy for you to ease out off of St Marks for some spring gags, even on a flats boat. Our "offshore vessel" for the rigs 9 miles off of Venice was a carbon fiber tunnel hull Maverick. We nailed big snapper, cobia, mackerel, and giant red drum out there on that little technical poling skiff. All on artificial lures. Snapper included ARS and hefty mangroves.

It's a great add on to inshore.

EJ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Used to troll for grouper occasionally in the Bayshore and still could with the Mosquito on nice days. :thumbup: But I prefer to chase reds, trout and big shiners now. Besides, I get offshore on article assignments sometimes and that's more than enough for me.