Legal question-culling

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Legal question-culling

Post by onefishtwofish »

Is "culling", meaning catch, hold and release legal in Florida saltwater. If not, could someone please point me to the regulation, statute or code? I had a link, but it is now dead and am not sure what that means.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: Legal question-culling

Post by Salty Gator »

That's the way I understand it. If you are in possession of a fish ( in your e livewell) , you cannot release that fish when you catch one larger. People do it all the time, but not supposed to. It really only comes up during tournaments.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

The way I understand it -

Catch, hold long enough for a quick picture, and release is okay. Putting one in the livewell, then catching a bigger one and releasing the first one is not legal without a culling permit. I've seen culling permits issued for bass tournaments and some inshore tournaments out of Steinhatchee in the past.
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

My understanding as well, however, I had a quick link to something that showed that and the link is dead. I also read over the entire Saltwater regulations pdf publication and there is no mention of that. Does anyone know it is a a statute, or administrative code? I can't find it in either location.

I am not fishing the Redtrout this year, but with only 2 guys in the boat, that would make a potential huge difference on the trout. If you keep your first decent trout, say 23" and then catch a 25", if you keep, you are done upgrading. With reds it is much easier to make that call with the upper slot. I know it is illegal for reds and was under the impression it is illegal for all saltwater species, but I'll be danged if I can find it. I will poke around some more.

Not an issue for me with trout as I am never that interested in keeping that many and only keep over 20" if they are injured, even when I am eating. Just curious.
ugadawg
Site Sponsor

Post by ugadawg »

Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

onefishtwofish wrote:My understanding as well, however, I had a quick link to something that showed that and the link is dead. I also read over the entire Saltwater regulations pdf publication and there is no mention of that. Does anyone know it is a a statute, or administrative code? I can't find it in either location.

I am not fishing the Redtrout this year, but with only 2 guys in the boat, that would make a potential huge difference on the trout. If you keep your first decent trout, say 23" and then catch a 25", if you keep, you are done upgrading. With reds it is much easier to make that call with the upper slot. I know it is illegal for reds and was under the impression it is illegal for all saltwater species, but I'll be danged if I can find it. I will poke around some more.

Not an issue for me with trout as I am never that interested in keeping that many and only keep over 20" if they are injured, even when I am eating. Just curious.

And don't forget 1 person can't catch both big trout for the team. Remember all of that bs?
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

Salty Gator wrote:
onefishtwofish wrote:My understanding as well, however, I had a quick link to something that showed that and the link is dead. I also read over the entire Saltwater regulations pdf publication and there is no mention of that. Does anyone know it is a a statute, or administrative code? I can't find it in either location.

And don't forget 1 person can't catch both big trout for the team. Remember all of that bs?
And if you are going to claim the prize money for the winning fish don't post a written account of your fishing day explaining how you caught both of the trout over 20" while your partner caught none. Whose fish is it anyway? lol
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

rockyg wrote:
Salty Gator wrote:

And if you are going to claim the prize money for the winning fish don't post a written account of your fishing day explaining how you caught both of the trout over 20" while your partner caught none. Whose fish is it anyway? lol
Yo hav it almost right. The guy that posted wasn't the one that caught the fish :lol:
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

Thanks dawg, but that is talking specifically about tournaments. Of course it implies that is not legal to "catch, hold and release" redfish, but I am looking for the specific statute or code that says this practice is illegal for all saltwater species, as I believe that to be the case.

Should not be that hard to find this. It should be stated clearly right on the Saltwater Regs pdf file, but I will be danged if I can find that.

I will keep looking I reckon.
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

Salty Gator wrote:

Right. I think we clearly established after all that, fish limits are for indivduals. Not for boat limits. Same as duck hunting.
leonreno

Post by leonreno »

Most Florida fishing regulations are "harvest" or "possession" per person. Once you harvest "or" posses the fish in a livewell, it counts for your limit. It has been stated that you can catch and release a fish and not found against you harvest and possession limit. Placing in livewell is considered harvested. This has been discussed on pier forums too. King mackerel limits are two per person, harvest and possession. Say you catch two and put them in your cooler and keep fishing. You catch a third king and give it to someone else. You have now broke the fishing refs and can be fined for harvesting more than two kings. Even though you didn't posses but two.

1. Except as provided in subparagraph (1)(a)2. a recreational harvester may not harvest or possess within or without Florida Waters or land a spotted seatrout that is less than 15 inches or greater than 20 inches in total length.

(1) Recreational Bag Limits – A recreational harvester may not harvest or land per day from Florida Waters or possess at any time more spotted seatrout than the specified bag limit established in this subsection within the following identified regions:
grasshopper

Post by grasshopper »

FWC rule 68B-37.002, Definitions #2 Harvest
crappielimits

Post by crappielimits »

Once you have caught a limit you are not technically supposed not to fish for that species for that day or trip. If u have five trout in livewell and catch another, you are over the limit. Some states, usually northern states won't let you fish after catching a limit on one species. Florida allows you to catch other species limits too.
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

That is not correct crappie. You can fish for reds all day and catch 100. You may only 'harvest" or "possess" one. Taking out the hooks and releasing is neither harvesting nor possessing. I can't tell you about northern states, but here in Florida you can catch and release all day after having a limit.