Stinger Rig for Cobia/Shark

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

laxman20

Stinger Rig for Cobia/Shark

Post by laxman20 »

Hi all. Anyone ever use a stinger rig for cobia and/or shark?
Laxman20

2005 Blazer Bay 2170
2008 Zuke Df 175

"Why can't we fish 5 days and work 2?"
big bend gyrene

Re: Stinger Rig for Cobia/Shark

Post by big bend gyrene »

Have caught both on them but generally use the stinger rigs for targeting kings. If targeting cobia far prefer a hefty fluorocarbon leader (40, 60, or 80 pounds) and decent strength single circle hook.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

I think most people only use stingers for kings and wahoo ( I'll say I never target kings, but catch them if and only if I'm using a circle hook). The reason is, kings and hoo often bite the tail off a bait then come back to eat it. I've never had a decent shark cut a bait in half, they eat the whole thing. Little sharks will bite the tail off. For cobia I prefer an owner octopus style hook. I've had a bunch of cobia spit the circle hook at the boat. No idea why, just had it happen to many times. One of the only species that I don't use circle hooks for. Good luck and welcome aboard
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
laxman20

Post by laxman20 »

Thanks y'all I appreciate it. I have been having issues with a dropping a pinfish where the fish only takes the head or tail. I was thinking 2 hooks, 1 front and 1 back would be helpful.
Laxman20

2005 Blazer Bay 2170
2008 Zuke Df 175

big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

laxman20 wrote:Thanks y'all I appreciate it. I have been having issues with a dropping a pinfish where the fish only takes the head or tail. I was thinking 2 hooks, 1 front and 1 back would be helpful.
Very unlikely that cobia are you culprit with the cut bait... they have crusher pads in the back of their throats almost identical to the pads in redfish. Every once in a while they might bite aggressively enough to stun / kill a bait by smashing it, but they really don't have the hardware to cleanly cut bait. To the contrary, often find fish and other creatures completely whole in the stomach of cobes, this being the coolest find that was completely intact...
P1010695.jpg
P1010695.jpg (105.41 KiB) Viewed 2699 times
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
laxman20

Post by laxman20 »

big bend gyrene wrote:
laxman20 wrote:Thanks y'all I appreciate it. I have been having issues with a dropping a pinfish where the fish only takes the head or tail. I was thinking 2 hooks, 1 front and 1 back would be helpful.
Very unlikely that cobia are you culprit with the cut bait... they have crusher pads in the back of their throats almost identical to the pads in redfish. Every once in a while they might bite aggressively enough to stun / kill a bait by smashing it, but they really don't have the hardware to cleanly cut bait. To the contrary, often find fish and other creatures completely whole in the stomach of cobes, this being the coolest find that was completely intact...
P1010695.jpg
Thanks Big Bend, thats an awesome find. Most likely I'm probably dealing with small sharks taking the tail or head off.
Laxman20

2005 Blazer Bay 2170
2008 Zuke Df 175

EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

Yes, those pesky small sharks will bite a bait in half and a kingfish stinger rig can help. Or use a smaller bait.

EJ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk