Weekend trip to Keaton

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Little grasshopper

Weekend trip to Keaton

Post by Little grasshopper »

Was back and forth all week whether we were going to go the weekend or not but we decided Friday morning we would try it. Could not get things together and work stuff was holding us up but we finally got away Friday afternoon and got down around 5. Got things settled in where we were staying was planning to get some shrimp but being so late we hit the ramp around 6. Dark clouds south so we went shorter north than we wanted in.case it got bad. Two boats with 2 in each and we came in with 16 keeper trout and a bunch of shorts.
High hopes the next day got shut down quick as the wind blew all day. One of our boats did real good with both guys limiting on trout and reds, 4 blacks , and a big 20in triple tail. Same boat was throwing back reds on two separate drifts. The other boat only put 2 reds and a couple other fish in the box but they caught a bunch of short bass and trout. We had a good time for sure and tried some new things most of which did not work so well.

Chartreuse was like candy.
Little grasshopper

Re: Weekend trip to Keaton

Will In The Wild

Post by Will In The Wild »

Very nice! We had a good weekend at Keaton,but not that good. I have not been able to get on any reds out of Keaton this year. I'll have a video of our trip up later this week.

Is that Camp Four near Naylor? I think somebody I used to work with hinted at a Camp Four out that way.
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Awesome trip. Was the triple tail an accidental catch or did y'all target it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Little grasshopper

We were targeting crab traps when we came across them and that's where he came from. I've caught small ones before like that.
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

:thumbup: :thumbup: Great trip, sounds like Friday was better. We fished Sat. out of Yates Creek and had a hard time finding good fish. The few we caught were in 8 ft. of water.
Yours in the South
Heath

Post by Heath »

awesome catch. we fished Keaton all day Saturday from 8-7, limit of trout and piles of rock bass. I haven't been able to get any reds this year either. we went from spring creek all the way past rock island.
Its not the arrow, Its the Indian...
Heath

Post by Heath »

How deep where you fishing? I stayed in 4-6 but kept thinking I needed to move out. water was near 84 but I stayed around the 5 feet ranger. all on grass and sand spots. didn't target structure, I guess I should more often. Still learning.
Little grasshopper

Fished 4-5 for trout. Got the reds in close. I think my boat caught 10 reds total no puppy reds either. We saw a pile of fish that were tight lipped though. Darker water seemed better in the morning then cleaner water in afternoon. After 5 both days I was catching trout on topwater in 3-4ft. Fun right there.
Little grasshopper

90% of our fish was not caught on cork (while 90% of the people I saw were using corks). I think the chop had them closer to the bottom.
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Little grasshopper wrote:We were targeting crab traps when we came across them and that's where he came from. I've caught small ones before like that.
. Never caught one. Would not have thought they would be around a crab buoy.

craSSh

Post by craSSh »

Looks like a great weekend trip. Awesome!!!
HookemBookem1

Post by HookemBookem1 »

Tripletail gather round any floating structure they can find. They love the buoys and will just float around them. I bet it was great eating. Nice catch

Heath

Post by Heath »

Little grasshopper wrote:90% of our fish was not caught on cork (while 90% of the people I saw were using corks). I think the chop had them closer to the bottom.
It was choppy too

thanks for the insight. I soak it all in.