Rain and the weekend fishing

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

rebel10

Rain and the weekend fishing

Post by rebel10 »

How will all of this rain and fresh water effect the trout and reds this weekend. My understanding is that the trout don't like all of the fresh water but it may not effect the reds as much. Will the fish stay in the same spots even if its stained or will they hunt clearer water?
rebel10

Re: Rain and the weekend fishing

Post by rebel10 »

I guess no one wants to tackle the question so ill simplify. Is all the rain going to hurt the fishing this weekend? Im a rookie just wondering. Thanks
fishdux

Post by fishdux »

Thanks for simplifying! Most of the rivers around here don't go very far north and therefore dont take very long to drain. With 2 days of good weather ahead before the weekend, I think we should be ok. East of the rivers should be cleaner. I think the biggest problem is going to be floating grass. The trout have been moving around already so it is a hunt for them anyway. The reds shouldnt be affected.
leonreno

Post by leonreno »

Out on the flats the extra freshwater really has no major effect on salinity, BUT it can cause the warmer to become very stained which will effect fishing. Some stain is ok but too much can cause problems. I normally try locations not close
to the major rivers around here. Keaton is good and Lanark is ok. Aucilla, ecofina, st. Marks, carrabelle, Suwannee will be much more stain to the water. Coffee color is normally bad, weak ice tea can be good.
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

I look at it as a good time to go bass fishing :-D
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

If you can go then go. If not catching will ruin your day, you can fill the cooler at southern seafood
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven