SGI Area advice?

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Triedandfailed

SGI Area advice?

Post by Triedandfailed »

Hey all,

I'm headed to SGI state park for a six day camping trip in a few days, boating into the primitive sites. I usually fish the St. Marks area, and my only Apalachicola bay experience is on the old bridge pier. Any advice on where to try/what depths and colors? Not asking for any secret spots, just a general idea. Near shore is a possibility as well, I'm in a 17' Key West CC but the NOAA forecasts look beautiful. Providing they are anywhere close to accurate.
Williamsdad

Re: SGI Area advice?

Post by Williamsdad »

I know this is unusual, so it really won't help, and you'll be in a boat, but...

been fishing off the beach in the state park for over 20 years. Last Sunday we got 3 slot and 1 short trout in the surf, using bait we castnetted. One was 26 inches, landed by my future daughter-in-law. Dead shrimp was not the ticket, maybe 2 whiting and 2 cats all day, but the trout made the day.
Heath

Post by Heath »

Triedandfailed wrote:Hey all,

I'm headed to SGI state park for a six day camping trip in a few days, boating into the primitive sites. I usually fish the St. Marks area, and my only Apalachicola bay experience is on the old bridge pier. Any advice on where to try/what depths and colors? Not asking for any secret spots, just a general idea. Near shore is a possibility as well, I'm in a 17' Key West CC but the NOAA forecasts look beautiful. Providing they are anywhere close to accurate.
I have had some great days around dog island back toward Lanark, fish the docks and flats out from it, and I've had some good days in the St. George Cut. The Times we have had success were always with live bait, I've personally never had much luck with artificial near St. George.
Its not the arrow, Its the Indian...
Yellowduckdog

Post by Yellowduckdog »

Triedandfailed wrote:Hey all,

PM me ill be in Plantation with family and boat ill let you know of anay luck and like wise leaving Friday thru Saturday week
Rbmcrae

Post by Rbmcrae »

Hate I missed this we were there the whole week fishing out of our bay boat behind the state park and did really well all on artificials of some sort. It was a mixed bag of top water plugs, gulps, mirrodines, and spoons but did really well until we decided to not fight the wind the last two days! 3-4 flats near deep drops seemed to be the hot spots and reds were in their normal hangouts up near the bars ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk