Oyster Bay?

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

gayakangler

Oyster Bay?

Post by gayakangler »

Any tips for fishing Oyster Bay? Planning to bring the kayak down to Shell Point tomorrow and fish in Oyster Bay with my wife. This will be the first time I've fished here. Just looking for friendly pointers :) Thanks everyone!
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Re: Oyster Bay?

Post by Steve Stinson »

Perhaps nobody has responded since your forum name can be interpreted more than one way. I am assuming you're a kayak angler from Georgia who really does have a wife -

For Shell Point use topwater if the floating grass is not too heavy. Zara Spooks or Top Dogs in bone color. Gulp 3" Shrimp or 6" Jerk Shad in either white or new penny on jig heads will work. Straight off the public beach at Shell Point, there is a long oyster bay that runs directly away from the beach. Both ends of this bar can be good depending on the tide. If you paddle down the bar (West) and keep going, you will run into more bars around Piney Island that can hold fish too.

If you paddle around the tip of Shell Pt. then East toward Live Oak Island, there are some good flats out that way. Just off shore from there is a long sand bar that can also hold fish.

The problem you are going to have with that area based on my experience is that the fishing can be really good or really bad depending on the day. In a kayak, you are not going to be able to just travel to a new area if you hit it on an off day.

Good Luck! :thumbup:
fishfalcon

Post by fishfalcon »

I agree with Steve. I fish that area quite a bit. the water is really stained right now and the fishing was tough over the 4th of July. Good luck and post a report.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

I agree w everything Steve posted. Especially the hot/cold bite. In addition, you can fish the middle of the bay if you put in at blue dolphin road. Good luck
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Vibe_Yaker

Post by Vibe_Yaker »

Nice place to kayak. Check wind on Weather Underground. Google maps will show you oyster bar and channels. Rain has kept me away, but have caught reds and trout there. Watch for mullet jumping. Tight lines.
gayakangler

Post by gayakangler »

Thanks for the tips everyone!

Yeah....about the name... didn't realize how that came off until I had already done it. Now I can't change it. Lol. Should have used some capital letters or spaces or something. Haha

Ga Yak Angler :)
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Beach launch at Shell Point or the Blue Dolphin ramp will put you into some good bars, as SG mentioned. Strong flow with the full moon tides this weekend. Topwater over the top of flooded bars or Aqua Dream spoon around the edges should entice trout and reds. Bounce a jig in the cuts between the bars for shots at flounder. Good luck.

BTW, Ga Yak Angler will probably get more feedback on this forum than Gay Alaska Angler. :wink:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
gayakangler

Post by gayakangler »

Probably so. Lol. Wish I could change it
gayakangler

Post by gayakangler »

Is there parking at Blue Dolphin Dr? I see it on the map but don't see parking
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

Apparently we don't want the gay's to fish :roll:
tabb

Post by tabb »

I was thinking that's a long rode trip to fish that area.
(Gay or straight) Just saying.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

gayakangler wrote:Is there parking at Blue Dolphin Dr? I see it on the map but don't see parking
There are a few spots on the side of the road. Don't get blocked in
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

gayakangler wrote:Probably so. Lol. Wish I could change it
Email or PM bman, the site owner. He should be able to make that happen.

Catch 'em up in the bay!
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
gayakangler

Post by gayakangler »

Not much in the way of a report from today. Caught 1 gafftop and a pigfish around cutoff island and that was all. Saw several sea turtles and a pod of dolphins move thru.

Water was very stained and wind picked up around 1230 so we headed back to the ramp.

Ready to come back and try again soon! :)