"Must Have" for the Flats Boating

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

mjsigns
Site Sponsor

"Must Have" for the Flats Boating

Post by mjsigns »

I am really close to closing on a new boat, and I am trying to assess what safety equipment and other boating accessories I am going to need for the flats. I have most of the fishing equipment covered (I think). Any input would be apreciated!

Thanks- MJ

:-D
EddieJoe

Re: "Must Have" for the Flats Boating

Post by EddieJoe »

mjsigns wrote:I am really close to closing on a new boat, and I am trying to assess what safety equipment and other boating accessories I am going to need for the flats. I have most of the fishing equipment covered (I think). Any input would be apreciated!

Thanks- MJ

:-D
For the flats, a fixed mount or hand held vhf radio. A good lcd depth recorder. A fixed mount or portable GPS. An auto inflate PFD for you if you fish alone. A drift bag to slow you on windy days. A good led flashlight. A couple of chlorox bottles set up as marker buoys.

EJ
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

EddieJoe covered most everything. Add to his list, a small cutting board, a knife, a pair of wire cutters, a pair of needle nose pliers, a dip net, a small gaff, and, if you're fishing in close or in the creeks, a good trolling motor. I also have hand towels hanging on the side of the console. Oh, don't forget the Frog Toggs.
What was I supposed to do today?
Ken K
Site Sponsor

Post by Ken K »

A small vinyl coated mushroom anchor (in addition to your main anchor) cleated off in the back is handy when you want to stop your drift to get another cast or two into a hole. A poor man's Powerpole.
Ken
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

A mapping GPS to be more specific and use it to mark your spots, if you want every boat on the flats to come over throw a clorox marker out.

Flare kit, first aide kit, water proof bag for storing your wallet, keys, cell phone and any important stuff.

A bare minimum tool kit, enough tools to change a prop or fix minor things, you don't need enough tools to rebuild the engine.

Spare Prop

Spare drain plug
Flats Rascal
Site Sponsor

Post by Flats Rascal »

Beer cooler.

8)
Jesus saves, George Nelson withdraws!
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

I'v found that as I get older :o I use my Bimni top a lot more also :-D
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

I'll ditto Chalks suggestion regarding the "flare gun". Even though I could see other boats moving around..my radio was receivng and wasn't transmitting. The flare gun saved the day for me a couple of years ago. :thumbup:
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Post by RHTFISH »

Rod holders....there never seems to be enough! I also like carrying a small hand pump and hose in case bilge pump acts up and also use it to wash down inside of boat sometimes after a "bloody battle."
Also consider a spare prop, hat and sunglasses. Seems there's always something to add! But that's part of the fun of it all!
Good Luck!
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

I sure hope mj is buying a LARGE boat. :o
What was I supposed to do today?
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

tin can wrote:I sure hope mj is buying a LARGE boat. :o
The things stated were things I like to have...I only have the bare essentials in my boat, ice for the fish and gas :wink: :lol:
Flats Rascal
Site Sponsor

Post by Flats Rascal »

I find these mesh utility bags useful. They mount by suction cups and come in a variety of sizes. West Marine has a few to select from.

Image Image

8)
Jesus saves, George Nelson withdraws!
Sea Gurl

Post by Sea Gurl »

All those things sounds like my "wish" list for all gift giving holidays!!! :P

My input - Spare boat key put somewhere secure on boat and a 5 gal plastic bucket. Mine holds a cast net and also could be used in an emergency to slow boat's drift down, also a couple of large trash can size black plastic garbage bags. They're small and easy to store and if your boat goes down (who ever plans for THAT event, heaven forbid!) you can get into the bags to help prevent hypothermia, and a fire extinguisher.

Sea Gurl
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Thanks for all the great replies and I sincerely appreciate all your responses. One could almost create a definitive list from all these suggestions and recommendations. I think I am going to need a bigger boat.... :D