Econfina 9/30/2004

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

yukondon

Econfina 9/30/2004

Post by yukondon »

Hit the water yesterday about noon,wanted to get there sooner but had to go in for a couple hours work on my off day :evil: Water was pretty low,scary ride thru the river,didnt wanna donate anothr lower unit this year :hammer: so I took it easy, Got to my spot (birdrack) and set on a slow drift to the southwest,water was dingy and the temp was 81-82* I threw eveything in the boat at them but it was a very slow day,managed to get three keepers 18in and 2 19 inchers, three shorts and 2 hard pulling sharks fun fun :thumbup: one cat :thumbdown:Off the water around 4:00 pm. I guess it wasnt too bad with all the fresh water the area has seen lately. Things should get real good in another week or two. Trout caught on grub and CT sharks on pinfish.

Donnie
Aucilla
Site Sponsor

Post by Aucilla »

Nice report Donnie. Thanks!!

That river IS treacherous. :o I want to be equiped with all the spare prop gear next time I go. I am still using aluminum props so I can break 'em rather than the lower unit when I hit one of those hidden things.

Did you loose the lower unit there? I have never had that happen..... I don't really know what'd I'd do! With no trolling motor, I guess I'd have to radio or call for a tow in or something.

But those rivers are beautfiul! And you got dinner! :thumbup:
Fisherman989
Site Sponsor

Post by Fisherman989 »

That cat you caught, if it was a sail cat, is one of the best eating things out on the flats. I have been saving them for years. If it was a hardhead.....throw him back.
Seems 3 is the majic number here lately (keepers) Heard many reports since the storms.....3 keepers.
Went last week to Aucilla....kept .....3.
The dark water makes tough fishing. :)
yukondon

Post by yukondon »

Aucilla Yes I lost a lower unit earlier this year,just past the 2nd no wake zone ,did a number on it,broke the shaft destroyed the SS prop.I swear theres a rock the size of a school bus down there.I have it marked for future references :-D

Fisherman 989
This wasnt a sailcat just a hardhead. Ive heard conflicting stories about the sailcat,some people say there great and other say theyre trash. Havent tried one myself.
Fisherman989
Site Sponsor

Post by Fisherman989 »

Sailcat taste like chicken.
The curve below the last houses at Econfina has destroyed many lower units. On low tide I tip toe past it. Last time I was there a boat from Alabama was using a trowling motor to make it back to the landing. Those same rocks had took one more victim. :-?
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Sailcat taste great "better than Trout in my opinion" I just can't seem to remember to take something to put them in "they slim up everything" I aint about to put one in the livewell 8)
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

When heading out stay in the right third of the river at that bend past the houses. Left third coming in. High tide your'e safe. Anything less than high STAY WEST>.
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Jumptrout51 wrote:When heading out stay in the right third of the river at that bend past the houses. Left third coming in. High tide your'e safe. Anything less than high STAY WEST>.
If you watch the depth finder it rises up at the bend....I always get up at the no wake sign...If I can't due to traffic, I wait til I get past the bend....The Chalkmobile has a scar from there, but I wasn't driving :-D , Chalk Sr :lol:

Wish I was out there today :cry:
yukondon

Post by yukondon »

I have learned since my mishap to stay to the right in that area,to bad I didnt hear it sooner, $2000.00 lesson The beauty and fishing in that area is worth every penny.
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Post by RHTFISH »

Those rocks claimed another lower unit Saturday. A long time
friend from Albany was coming upriver in his "first time in the water"
Key West when the rocks ate the lower unit of his new 90 Johnson.
:(

With at least half water I usually cut behind the island on plane
which keeps me on the west side of the river. I enjoy sliding
through there. If I ever meet someone coming the opposite direction in there.....well, I sure have enjoyed the forum! :-D
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

If I ever meet someone coming the opposite direction in there.....well
or another well placed palm blowed down... :-D
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

RHTFISH wrote: If I ever meet someone coming the opposite direction in there.....well, I sure have enjoyed the forum! :-D
You better hope it isn't Troutfisher, cause both of you will probably be gone :o
yukondon

Post by yukondon »

seems like the FWC would put a warning or some type of marker over those prop killers!
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Chalk....who was driving the chalkmobile the day I caught the...the...lets just say, very large gator trout. :lol: Seems we lost a couple of parts that day. :roll:
Semper Fi
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

seems like the FWC would put a warning or some type of marker over those prop killers!
I'm not sure you would be able to get out the river with all them poles stick'n up in the air :D FWC's budget would never be able to handle it either :-D
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".