AUCILLA 12/12

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

CROCKER

AUCILLA 12/12

Post by CROCKER »

FISHED 2:00 - 6:00 PM
VERY WINDY, WATER 57 DEG, VERY STAINED
FISHED ROCK PILES, OYSTER BARS, AND CREEK MOUTHS
CAUGHT ABSOLUTLY NOTHING DIDN'T EVEN GET A BITE.

HOWEVER, ON THE RIDE BACK TO 98 FROM THE RAMP SAW

4 - WILD HOGS
5 - TURKEYS
1 - RACOON
2 - DEER

IT WAS WORTH THE DRIVE
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Good try at'm.....Think the slug of rain last week has messed the water up....We saw a few hogs too... :thumbup:
Fisherman989
Site Sponsor

Post by Fisherman989 »

On my last trip to Aucilla River a few days ago, I saw wild hogs at the boat landing....just tearing up the parking lot. That place just holds a mystery to me...I enjoy the trip even when I catch nothing. :lol:
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Some of us still can remember the days when hogs were so plentiful that you would almost always count a dozen or so dead hogs on the road driving from Aucilla to Perry. Not counting the 15-20 live ones you had to dodge on the road.

As a kid, living 50 yards from the boat ramp at Aucilla was interesting too. Hogs were always chasing us up trees in the woods behind the house. When you went into the woods, you always watched for the nearest tree to climb when the hogs got after you. :-D
Semper Fi
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Man, I'm glad daddy didn't know bout that :o He woulda had us running through the woods and waitin fer one of us ta holler out so he could come and shoot the danged thang :-D
qoutrage
Site Sponsor

Post by qoutrage »

Sorry 'bout the 'less than good' day.
It's all 'luck of the draw', when the bite is skinny, and so many places to choose from down here.
Maybe, your next trip will be more bountiful.
I went to school with some Crockers there (Tville) as a kid- Also,I had a buddy in the military named Crocker.
'Think he was from Fla, though....Good folks.

And for CS- Growing up that close to the water and in the general area of the Aucilla, must
have been an adventure everyday, with all the fishing and hunting and such.
To get to go to 'th Coast', was always a special event for me.
My dad would usually tell us about middle of the week, we were going to Panacea or Carrabelle.
I couldn't think of any thing else, 'til we got here, and first site of the water always put
me in a tizzy. What a feeling..
I still get exited, seeing the water after being away for a while.
Some things never change.
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

qoutrage, my family owned all the land from almost a half mile up river from the ramp to about half that distance down river from the ramp. Also owned land at Nut-All Rise, and at the boat ramp down from 98 bridge over the Aucilla. Lost it all in the mid 1970's.
Semper Fi
qoutrage
Site Sponsor

Post by qoutrage »

Heck CS, that's a shame.. disheartening to be sure.
My family never owned any land to speak of- tenant farmers mostly up around Tville Meigs, Moultrie,Pavo..But I still had access to the land for hunting and fishing, and as I said, the Coast was only 75 or so miles away.
I might'a swapped places with you for a summer or two. Had to be a fun fun living on the river.

Sorry Crocker, guys, for getting off the subject.
DuctTapeKing

Post by DuctTapeKing »

CS where yall in the smuggling busniess??? I have just heard that the ramp there used to have a lot of goods smuggled through it.
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

I was in the Marines then, let me make that perfectly clear, but yes that was the reason the land was lost to the State of Florida. Wasn't so much the ramp, but the landing strip my uncles built behind the ramp.

Also note, the large bust that ended it all was on Shields docks in St. Marks. Benny Shields was in partnership with my uncles. Never know do you?

Note too, the Shields still own that property.
Semper Fi