trolling for spanish

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

floridagatorsuf1

Post by floridagatorsuf1 »

Im going out of St. Marks to troll for some spanish. I got some banana spoons and mackeral trees. Do you need to weight these? If so, how much? Also what speed do you go at and what test leader should i use? Thanks for any replies.
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

I don't weight mine. I usually troll for Spanish at around 6 mph. I would suggest looking for bait schools and when you find them throw a half ounce chatruese ny-lure jig in the school and let it sink. Then give it one or two quick jerks, then let it sink.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

floridagatorsuf1

Post by floridagatorsuf1 »

Thanks ill try this!
grouper sandwich

Post by grouper sandwich »

When I troll for spanish I prefer to use a 2 oz. trolling lead and about a 6-8 ft. 40 lb. mono leader. The lead will keep the spoon under the surface and the long leader not spook the fish. You may want ot also run a length of 40 lb. above the weight also and tie it line to line to your main line. Also, the Clark spoon #0 or #1 have always been my top producers. Good luck and try to keep UNDER the leagl limit of 15 per person.
Charles
Site Sponsor

Post by Charles »

I sometimes put a small planer in front of a spoon. Other times I'll put a 1/2 oz. egg sinker in front of the leader. With mackerel I haven't noticed that either method catches more fish than pulling a spoon with just a leader in front of it. I think mackerel are speedy and active enough to nail it from anywhere they can see the flash. If it's a slow day and the fish aren't cooperating you can always fight the planer. :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Charles Pulley on 2002-05-26 4:23 pm ]</font>