Democrat Fishing Report 1/7

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Flats Rascal
Site Sponsor

Democrat Fishing Report 1/7

Post by Flats Rascal »

After typing the entire fishing report ('cause it wasn't online) I was knocked offline before I could post it.

Screw it. Go buy a paper. :wink:

8)
Jesus saves, George Nelson withdraws!
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Flats, some times you're just too good to us. I often wondered why you would go to the trouble to type all the info you provide us, any way. :wink:
What was I supposed to do today?
Flats Rascal
Site Sponsor

Post by Flats Rascal »

Two reasons I do it.

1. I have no life

2. It's great therapy on Fridays before my hooligan co-workers arrive at work.

Actually, all the other reports I cut and paste. About every third week the Democrat decides not to include "Outdoors" online.

There is also an interesting article in today's "Outdoors" - "Patience and persistence are the keys to wintertime fishing".

8)
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Good Job anyway. I'll give you an "A" for effort :thumbup: :thumbup:

It's "classical" tallahassee Democrat Style to do stuff like that.......
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
GeorgeP
Site Sponsor

Post by GeorgeP »

Flats Rascal, thanks for the attempt, but next time, type the report in a Word Processor. When finshed, copy, then paste. I quite trying to type on the forum site long ago unless it was only going to be a line or two. Plus in the Word Processor, I can Spell Check so nobody knows just how poor a speller I am. :-D :-D :-D
qoutrage
Site Sponsor

Post by qoutrage »

Thanks for the effort Flats, and ditto on the word processor method on long post GP.
Flats Rascal
Site Sponsor

Post by Flats Rascal »

Posted on Fri, Jan. 07, 2005 (yeah, right :roll: )

Fishing report

Apalachee Bay

Unseasonably warm weather has scattered the fish somewhat. Some anglers have found success working way up the bay's tidal creeks, while others have managed to score with keeper reds in the rivers. Trout, redfish, sheepshead and mangrove snapper are all available, with live shrimp producing the best. Fish still are not overly aggressive, so the best tactic continues to be working the bait very slowly across the bottom until fish are located. The conditions this weekend should improve with the tide shift and moon phase.
-Scott Paterna, Jerry's Bait and Tackle

Ochlockonee Bay

Despite the warmer weather, fish have not returned to the oyster bars near the mouth of the river. Instead, try farther up the bay toward the state park for trout and reds. The grouper bite is consistent offshore starting at 30 feet. Larger fish still are located in deeper water. Frozen baits such as alewives and Spanish sardines are working well and there also are plenty of red snapper mixed amongst the grouper. The snapper season remains closed, but the catch-and-release action keeps things interesting.
-Stan Brown, Mashes Sands BP

Lanark/Carrabelle

Redfish have been very slow recently, but plenty of nice trout are being boated. The two hot spots for trout continue to be the deeper holes off the FSU Marine Lab, as well as the mouth of the Carrabelle River. Live shrimp under bobbers is the best producer. Grouper haven't been on fire, but they have been steady for those who keep trying different spots. Shallower structure has gotten somewhat better with the warmer temperatures, although 60 feet still is the most consistent depth for most. Alewives have been the prime bait of late.
-Mike Hopkins, Village Mart

Apalachicola Bay

Until the weather changes drastically, it doesn't look as if the majority of trout and reds will be moving into the rivers. The action overall was off last week with the daytime low tides and moon phase, but things are starting to pick back up. The dry bars continue to be good places to prospect, especially when casting red/white MirrOlures. Fiddler crabs are fooling both sheepshead and black drum around the bay bridge and whiting have been consistently feeding in the surf. When the seas lay down, bottom fishing has been good for grouper in the 45-50 foot range; the Franklin and Apalachicola Reefs are good places to look for gags.
-Rex Pennycuff, Fisherman's Choice

St. Joe Bay

With the spring-like conditions, trout and redfish are moving out of deeper water and taking up station in the shallow flats in the afternoons. The oyster bars around Indian Pass are holding fish later in the day when the water is warmer. Live shrimp and soft plastic jerk baits are working well. Redfish and trout still are in the Intracoastal Waterway canal, although more scattered than earlier. Live shrimp is working best in the muddy water.
-Capt. Trey Landry, Port St. Joe Marina

Lake Seminole

Trolling has been the best tactic for perch the last few days. The catfish also are on the prowl and eating aggressively. Starting next week, the bass tournaments get started in earnest and the few boats out pre-fishing are finding receptive largemouths. The surface water temperature in the lake is holding around 48 degrees.
-Jack Wingate, Wingate's Lodge

Lake Talquin

The unusual weather has the fish totally confused throughout the lake. Perch have moved back into deeper water. They are ganged up in 30 feet, but reluctant to bite. Even catfish have been finicky lately. It's going to take a major change in weather to get things back to more normal patterns for this time of year.
-Josh Ingram, Ingram's Marina

8)
GeorgeP
Site Sponsor

Post by GeorgeP »

Flats Rascal, all I have to say is "WOW THANKS"!

I am simply unable to get to the coast very often, and your reports help in the withdrawal pains until the next time I can get there.

Once again THANKS :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: