St. Marks Lighthouse, Sunday Jan. 10--where the water went?

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Aucilla
Site Sponsor

St. Marks Lighthouse, Sunday Jan. 10--where the water went?

Post by Aucilla »

drayno PM'd me and suggested some "shore fishing." But it had been too long since the 13-er had gotten wet, so I prevailed upon him to join me out the St. Marks. So Sunday morning we leave town at 7:30, planning to miss the lowest part of the tide taking place at that hour. After four stops [ATM, gas, tackle shop in Woodville that has stuff nobody else does, and Jerry's for an assortment of live shrimp and live plankton], we got to the part of the ride where you realize that your annual pass has expired and the fog is so thick you don't see the ranger in the St. Marks Wildlife Preserve ranger booth. So we drive by and pay the four bucks at the next stop, instead of re-upping for the pass, and head for the lighthouse.

The fog is thick. I try to remember how beautiful the drive is, and so I start to peer more out the window and through the fog cloud. We see the gators and lots of bird watchers and then the birds, and then this fella:

BUT man there was a LOT of water in the AIR! We got wet just lookin' outside the truck!

As we headed toward the lighthouse ramp, a fellow drove by headin' out o' there, towing his boat. drayno remarked that it was "Kinda early to be callin' it a day." We forged on.

Then, as we pulled in the side road and approached the ramp area, I first noticed there was nobody else waiting to launch, then I noticed that the parking lot was empty, and then I notice why! I saw where all the water had been and that was now in the air! :o

This was 9 o'clock in the morning! And the water was gone!

We were gasping in disbelief! We drove by on the side rode, next to the now-dry ramp, and got out of the truck and saw this, the new Dry Dock:

Well, the 13-er doesn't draw MUCH water, but even if we got into the puddle, we weren't gettin' it out of the "canal."

So we drive down to the lighthouse proper to confirm that there was still water in the river itself, but we couldn't see any! The water had receded past the fog line! :o

But we wanted to go fishing! And even the wade fishermen we are, we didn't want to wade in the puddle and pick 'em up: I been stuck on THAT bottom before!

So I called Shield's Marina on my cell phone, and she says "yes, sweetheart" there's water here, for the barges ya' know. We headed out. This time, we saw the ranger there, and we stopped to tell him that there wasn't any water to put in with; but he said he had wanted to tell us that when we drove past his booth earlier, on the way in. And he said he couldn't give us our entrance money back. [He was in the process of warning the boat-towing incomers.]

When we got to Shield's, the lady said they were catchin' up the river, but that I better not try to go out the river, it was so low.

We didn't really believe her, but UP the river we went. drayno hadn't ever been up there, and it was different lookin' for all, as it was low, low low.

Of course the river was calm and beautiful, and the live shrimp were worth a lot of taps and, a little ways above the power plant, they were worth a coupla of grunts too.

Then we headed out to the Gulf. It was high noon and foggggggy!

But the river, heading out, was smoooooth.

[This picture doesn't do it justice, as it "corrected" the exposure to make it look like there was some blue sky. There wasn't: only fog.]

We headed out to the flats west of the river, wide open throttle on smooth as glass water, the 13-er at her best!

drayno is a fishin' machine! Good company and geared up and loves it. But no action on the flats! It IS January! And we didn't give it much chance. So we decided to go to a spot dbplug showed me, south of Gray Mare. We hauled buggy over to a point south of there, getting soaked by the fog, and began drifting in with the wind and the tide. We got a few hits, a short trout, and a keeper maybe 18" and we're lucky [if it's that big]. All the catches were on Seminole Chicken ["electric chicken" with garnet and gold sparkly top].

Meanwhile, the fog is thick and thicker. We finally noticed Gray Mare, and we were NORTH of it, and no way could we even see the shore! :o

The wind began to pick up and the temperature dropped, and so we turned on the weather on the radio. All was cool, it seemed. Then, about 3 PM it began to clear some 8) , but--oh, by 3:20PM--it had rolled back in again! :o

And every where we went we were followed by a "fog bow."

It got to be 4 PM or so, and we decided to head on in.

I knew the area was full of rocks, and we had no idea, visually, where the coastline or anything else was. We didn't loose our marbles, but we almost lost our bearings.

But thank goodness for the GPS and the bottom machine! With drayno on the former, and me on the latter, we flew back in the thickest darn cloud of fog ever! We were getting dripping wet, with no windshield, and we were on instruments only!

We leaned forward, peering ahead into the wind for signs of any other boats, or that "telephone pole" we saw, belatedly, sticking up near where I think the stakeline is. [What IS that thing?]

Earlier, we had actually heard a fog horn! And we wanted to see that ship right before we hit it.

Finally, we saw friendly signs of civilization, the channel markers into the river.

As we motored in, we saw these guys and I thought it would make a good picture:

The afternoon sun was nowhere to be seen. At this point, drayno saw a chance to fish another moment, so we drifted some. As I steppedd up on my bench seat, somehow I had both of my feet fly out from under me :-? and I busted my shin and "bootemous" and scared away all the many fish. :oops: [Nothin' a couple of Advil couldn't fix, for me anyway.]

So we headed in, up the river. As soon as we hit the no-wake zone in the St. Marks, drayno tried trollin' as we approached the dock. No luck. :)
Last edited by Aucilla on November 13th, 2008, 11:49 am, edited 10 times in total.
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

Very kewl pics. :thumbup:
BIG
Site Sponsor

Post by BIG »

Great post! :thumbup:
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

Damn, where's the water???? :smt017
Fisherman989
Site Sponsor

Post by Fisherman989 »

Beautiful pictures.....and a very interesting story to go with them.
Reminds me of Keaton Beach last Friday when we went. Fog was the worst I have ever seen. No sweat....we got GPS...but alas...one of them failed...and our buddy boat was ever so lost. Thanks to a compass...he headed East...and hit Dekle Beach finally. That's where we found him...some time later. Wife was scared to death. She was onboard the lost boat.
Fog lifted about 2:30.
Wont go when it's that foggy again.....besides....Cranfield says "fish don't bite when it's foggy".
:)
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

This post is kinda foggy :lol: ..hope it clears up soon, still hazy here today.....Great report... :thumbup:
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

I predict that the fog will clear on Wendsday :-D
Wednesday
Southeast wind 15 knots. Seas 2 to 4 feet. Protected waters a moderate chop.
Wednesday Night
Southeast wind 15 knots. Seas 3 to 5 feet. Protected waters a moderate chop. Slight chance of showers.
Thursday
South wind 15 to 20 knots. Seas 3 to 5 feet. Protected waters choppy. Showers likely with isolated thunderstorms.
Friday
West wind 15 to 20 knots becoming north 20 knots in the afternoon. Near the coast...seas 4 to 6 feet. Well offshore...seas 5 to 7 feet...building to 7 to 9 feet late. Protected waters choppy to rough. Showers likely with isolated thunderstorms.
Saturday
Northeast wind 20 to 25 knots. Seas 4 to 6 feet near the coast...except 7 to 9 feet well offshore. Protected waters rough.
dbplug
Site Sponsor

Post by dbplug »

Nice Report. Came back with a lower unit intact in the fog. The gods were smiling on you. Can't believe ya' didn't pole the 13'er out of the LH canal. If it is like that again, drive a pole in at the end of the ramp for me so I will know where it is next time.
for petes sake
BKTomblin Jr

Post by BKTomblin Jr »

:o Whoooooeeee Ive never seen it that low at the Light house
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

I saw it just exactly like that 2 years ago. If I'm not mistaken, it is not that unusual for it to happen once or twice a year during the winter months when there's a large neg tide.
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Excellent pictures-
Good to see you doccumented that occurrence. You are lucky your lower unit didn't find any rocks :-?

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Post by RHTFISH »

Awesome pics!

Anytime you see an eagle is a great day! :thumbup:

The picture of the ramp gives a new meaning to "low water."

Thanks for the report!
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
RodBow
Site Sponsor

Post by RodBow »

Thanks for the blow by blow Bill.
use your opportunities ...

218 Carolina Skiff
25 Bayliner Deck
qoutrage
Site Sponsor

Post by qoutrage »

Nice report and pictures, Aucilla. Nothing like a little adventure to stir the blood.
Atticus
Site Sponsor

Post by Atticus »

Great report :thumbup: