Rusty hooks

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

sundown
Site Sponsor

Rusty hooks

Post by sundown »

Went through all my saltwater hard lures tonite...Mirrolures, various topwaters, ect....Most of the older ones got very rusted hooks...
Last spring I replaced the treble hooks on several with bronze hooks I found at Walmart....As expected, they didn't quite cut it...
.I bought a pack of 25 #1 tinned hooks awhile back at BP Shops but haven't put any of them on yet....Some of these old plugs have what appears to be galvanized trebles on them..and have held up pretty well over the years.
.Just wondering what the rest of you do to refurbish tackle like this and where do you get the hooks ?
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

My experience has been that even the saltwater hooks don't last long. I have a small plano box with various size treble hooks, split rings, and a pair of split ring pliers. When the hooks get too rusty, I change them. I usually use whatever Wal-Mart has.
What was I supposed to do today?
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

I carry a 25 pack of Mustad saltwater trebles in the my box with a pair of slip ring pliers.....I changed all my bad hooks out the other day

Carry the hooks you need to the store with you to size them properly...treble hook sizing is a mystery in it's self....
qoutrage
Site Sponsor

Post by qoutrage »

I usually throw whatever lures I use in a small bucket. When I get home, I fill it up with tap water and shake them around a little, before pour it out. After they dry for a while (next day or so), I sort them out and put them up.
I have a few rusty ones too, though, 'cause I forget and leave the bucket in the boat or something, sometimes.
Cranfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Cranfield »

I clean, sharpen and dry all treble hooks and jig heads, when I get home.
Using silica gel bags in your tackle boxes, helps keep rust off hooks, swivels, rings etc. :thumbup:
Apalach
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalach »

Does anyone use Salt-Away? You mix a few ounces of this per gallon in a bucket of freshwater. Guy at Randy Peart's seminar said he dips all his plugs in a solution of this right after use. Keeps the stuff in a Tupperware container on his boat so it doesn't get forgotten. Result: no more rusty hooks. Also cleans his reels in it. Wal-Mart or West Marine may carry it--I need to check it out.
RC
Site Sponsor

Post by RC »

I guess everyone is doing the same thing. Got the fever and its the dead of winter. I cleaned out my tackle boxes last week and got all the plugs that were stashed around in my boat. Didn't realize I had so many top dogs. I replace my trebles with gotsumi ,or sumthing like that, tinned hooks. They are so sharp that when a fish swims by they reach out and grab him. Seriously the hooks are the same size as the galvanized hooks that come on the lures but thiner and very sharp. Got to be carefull but I do think my hookup ratio improves with them.
I've also taken my boat in for its annual service. Beat the crowd Do it now.
pcbayou
Site Sponsor

Post by pcbayou »

Apalach wrote:Does anyone use Salt-Away? You mix a few ounces of this per gallon in a bucket of freshwater. Guy at Randy Peart's seminar said he dips all his plugs in a solution of this right after use. Keeps the stuff in a Tupperware container on his boat so it doesn't get forgotten. Result: no more rusty hooks. Also cleans his reels in it. Wal-Mart or West Marine may carry it--I need to check it out.
I haven't seen Salt-Away but do use something called Salt-X. It comes in a jug to mix with water and also in a small bottle ready to spray. It seems to work pretty well on reels, lures, etc.
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

I replaced a bunch of my trebles last year, but it seems the tinned hooks don't weigh as much as the heavier mustads I put on. Action's different...?