Lowrance or Garmin handheld gps?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Hit-n-Miss

Lowrance or Garmin handheld gps?

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Whats better the Lowrance ifinder H2O or the Garmin marine 76? Does anyone have either unit and what do you like or dislike? :-D Anything is a step up from my etrex. How good are the factory installed navaids? Does anyone know if you can reuse a bluechart disc? :-D :-D :-D Thanks :-D :-D :-D
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

I prefer the garmin. If you've used your Bluechart to install the mapping on a unit, and you upgrade to a new unit, Garmin will work with you to allow you to install the mapping on the new unit. The software on your computer will work with any unit.
What was I supposed to do today?
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Do the Garmin Map76, easy to use. :thumbup:
Frank Bradfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Frank Bradfield »

Ok, i admit it , i have a Garmin 76 too ! f
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

:-D Does anyone here have the lowrance? I think the controls would be better on the bottom of the unit, but thats just what I think. :-D
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Post by RHTFISH »

Used Garmin 12XL for several years.
Santa moved me up the ladder of technology with MAP76 and
so far I love it. Builtin background map not real accurate but so far no problems. :thumbup:
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

:-D Got the garmin 76 for valentines day. I love it :thumbup: . And I love my wife she's the best. Even tried it out at St marks sunday. Chasing redfish to no avail. However did get to see some dolfins up close, less than 2 feet form the boat chasing mullet in 18 inches of water. :-D
GeorgeP
Site Sponsor

Re: Lowrance or Garmin handheld gps?

Post by GeorgeP »

Hit-n-Miss wrote:Whats better the Lowrance ifinder H2O or the Garmin marine 76?
From someone that had 3 Lowrance GPS units before my 1st Garmin, go with Garmin. I just went to the Lowrance site, and did not see a color handheld. The Garmin 76C looks to me like a dynamite unit. If you have never had color, you don't miss it to much, but once you have had it you will never go back if humanly possible.
Does anyone know if you can reuse a bluechart disc? :-D :-D :-D Thanks :-D :-D :-D
All of the 76 series uses internal memory. You would buy your charts on CD. You can then load only those charts you are going to need, and if later you need more or different charts, load away. The only restrictions are that you can only use the Charts on two different GPS units. If you get one of the newer units with 115 megs of memory, then you can also load Metroguide maps with the roads for several states loaded.

Oh, one other thing, when you upload maps, you must upload all the maps you want, any upload erases what is already there.