Power Pro Spectra question

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

sundown
Site Sponsor

Power Pro Spectra question

Post by sundown »

Got a couple of questions about using Power Pro braided line.....To preface them, about three weeks ago I put some of this line on a Penn 440 spinning reel.....used 10 lb test. Went to St Marks and spent the day....Line cast well.....fished both jigs and bait on it...Never did get to feel how a strike felt cause we didnt get a bite all day......but that's another long, sad story.....I did like the line though....

I have two matched bottom rigs, 6' standup rods rated 40-130 lbs.....reels are new 112H 3/0's filled with 30lb Ande.....I'm thinking of taking enough of the mono off to allow me to put 150 yds of 65# Power Pro Spectra on them...nother consideration is these reels have composite spools instead of the turned brass spools the old Penn's had....Since PP doesn't have the stretch of mono will there be enough additional compression to affect the spools ? Esp if you had a good fish on......Also what kind of knots are best for joining lines, tying on swivels ect ? I used a uniknot on the 10# test and it didn't give.....

Second, does anyone use PP on baitcasting reels on the flats ? I keep two 5500 C3's with me for plugging ? Also, what lb test do you use on this kind of reel ??
pennfish

Post by pennfish »

o
Last edited by pennfish on February 17th, 2005, 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Groupaholic

Post by Groupaholic »

My experience when using Power Pro for bottom rigs isn't all that good. Although the PP is a smaller diameter it stands out like a sore thumb under water. Side by side PP verses mono on bottom rigs the mono will produce more bites, learned the hard way had my tail skunked several times on my boat.
I have been using PP for almost 4 years on my trolling rigs and wouldn't use anything else on them. I use penn 330's for trolling which have graphite spools and have never had anyproblem with it.
Also I spool all the way with no backing. The trick to that is after you spool your reel go somewhere tie it to something solid and walk off all the line. Afterwards reel youself in using lots off pressure, the line will never slip or cut down into itself after that.
If you use enough off the reel (from tangles and knots you cut out) to have to respool just throw the reel away, it will be worn out by then. I've got line on 2 reels that is over 3 years old and dosn't show any signs of being weak.
Nathan
Site Sponsor

Post by Nathan »

I have 100# Tuff-Line on one of my 4/0's and really like it. I had 60# Pink Ande on the reel before and just took a good bit of it off and put 150 yards of Tuff-Line on top. I always use an albright knot with at least 25 wraps to join braid to mono. I use it inshore also on three spinning reels and one baitcaster. I use 8 or 10# Power Pro on a Quantum Kinetic 20, 15# Tuff-Line on a Kinetic 30, 20# Tuff-Line on a Penn 4500, and 30# Tuff-Line on a Shimano Catala 400. My rule of thumb is to use the same # braid that I would have in mono. I might use a smaller reel, but the braided line strength is still within the ratings on the rod. Normally I switch out the braided line on reels I use quite a bit every year, but I have several reels that braid has been on for 3 years now. If you like Power Pro, give Tuff-Line a try. I honestly can't tell much difference and the Tuff-Line is a good bit cheaper. If Tuff-Line would make an 8 or 10# line I wouldn't even need Power Pro anymore.

Nathan
Cranfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Cranfield »

When joining PowerPro to mono, I use the Allbright knot.

I use PowerPro braid up to 20lb bs, for fresh and salt water lure fishing and up to 50lb bs for deep salt water fishing.

My baitcasters are all Abu's with level winds and I have never had any problems.

As has been said, always back the reels with mono before spooling the braid.
A few of my friends use a few turns of insulating tape (its cheaper).

I never fish braid right through to the hook/lure.
When lure fishing, I tie braid to a swivel (using a Palomar knot) and then wire, or a flurocarbon leader to the lure.

For deep water sea fishing, I tie the braid to a swivel, then have about 3ft of heavy mono (rubbing strip), on which I position the weight, then another swivel, on which I tie my leader (mono or flurocarbon).

We have very strong currents here, with an average 18 - 20ft tidal rise and fall.
Braid enables us to fish offshore, without having to use pounds of lead weight to hold bottom.
This means we can now use lighter rods and reels, making the experience much more enjoyable.
Having rods like telegraph poles, so that we could winch up 3lb of lead with a 5 lb fish on the end, made for a tiring day.
rev
Site Sponsor

Post by rev »

For your second question, I have two Shimano baitcasters (Citica & Curado) spooled with 20 lb. PP. If your thumb is reasonably educated, you'll be fine. It has more of a tendency to backlash than mono, but in my estimation, when a backlash does occur, it is easier to pick out.
pennfish

Post by pennfish »

o
Last edited by pennfish on February 17th, 2005, 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
rev
Site Sponsor

Post by rev »

Strangely I've never run into a wahoo in Stoney Bayou.
pennfish

Post by pennfish »

o
Last edited by pennfish on February 17th, 2005, 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
RC
Site Sponsor

Post by RC »

try the 6# diameter power pro on your inshore spinning reel. You won't believe how much further you can cast a lure.
bait boy

Post by bait boy »

I have never used pp but the other braids that i have and still use work wonderful for me. I always use a wind on leaded for bottom bouncing 60# flouro that i trim down to 12 feet, it comes in 25 feet packages (offshore angler) use the rest for leader material. The inshore rods usually have a 6 # diameter braid and tie on a flouro leader as well.
BOWD UP

Post by BOWD UP »

I've bottom fished using both mono and braid and the bite was the same for me. I always use a mono leader, but I feel the bite better using braid and there isn't any stretch when cranking down on a big grouper. The cost of braid is my limiting factor in having it spooled on all my rigs.
drayno

Braid or Mono

Post by drayno »

I've got 7 rods and all have some kind of braided on it. My Penn 4500 has 30lb braided PP on it with about 20 yards of 8lb mono backing. I use mono or floro leaders on it because of the lack of abrasiveness braided can take. My 4 deep rods have between 90# - 200# braided on about 20 feet of 60# mono backing. I have yet to have the braided break. On these I usually use wire leaders for bottom fishing. So far I haven't noticed that wire spooks the fish any more or less than mono, if it gets a bend in it 200# wire turns into 2# mono so I store them in plastic tubing to keep them from getting bent. My leaders are always attached with a snap swivel on the braided and a regular swivel on the beginning of the leader.

No stretch, no break (if you take care of it), and some good fishing. As far as brand I've got both PP and Spider on my reels, so far I haven't noticed much of a difference.

Drayno aka Jeff