Alligator Point 3/7/05

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

fish finder
Site Sponsor

Alligator Point 3/7/05

Post by fish finder »

I had the pleasure of taking a group of three, two of which were grouper rookies, out for a day of grouper gettin off A.P. David, Dan, and Ervin Mast had to schedule a late start around 9:00am, just as well, as I was unable to get Cuda"B" out of the canal until then due to the negative tide. After filing a float plan with the marina, we headed out to 50 ft. The seas were great (1ft) but I knew that wouldn't last. About a half mile out from the first stop, I decided to troll in. Picked up four gags on three passes but only one made it to the box. :-?

I was marking lots of fish so we tossed a bouy and anchored up. The crew stayed busy catching and releasing 15-20 short grouper while boxing 4, all gags. Decided to try a little deeper (62ft). Once again trolled in and had one good hit pull off on the first pass. Anchored up and watched the crew put a few more nice grouper in the boat as well as catching and releasing a dozen keeper red snapper. :o I hope they are still there come April 21st. :wink: I decided move off of this sweet little snapper hole and try our luck a couple miles away. One of the guys hooked into a nice 31 incher going about 15lbs. His bass fishing days are over. :roll:

The wind had picked up as predicted and we decided to head in, hitting one more spot in 49ft and boxing two more grouper. Made it back to the dock as the wind really started to blow and the rain began falling.

Total tally for the day: 13 grouper, 2 over 30 inches
11 gags, 2 red
12 red snapper released
50 short grouper released
2 more guys hooked on grouper fishing

The seas were gracious until about 3pm, water temp ranged between 59 shallow to 62 in 60ft. The bait was cut and whole LY's and spanish sardines. The stretch 30's were Gordon, black and gold, and black and silver. All caught fish. There was no grass to speak of and I think anybody would do well to start trolling over live bottom in the coming weeks. The grouper seemed to be "up" when there was good tidal flow. Three happy anglers and one tired captain. A great day on the water. :lol:

Capt. Jay
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

:thumbup: :beer: :thumbup:
At least someone is catching them!
Sea Fox
Site Sponsor

Post by Sea Fox »

Thanks for the report FF. Good to hear from you. :beer: 8)
Sea Ya !
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

:thumbup: :thumbup:
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Very nice :thumbup: :thumbup:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Will_Fish_4_Food
Site Sponsor

Post by Will_Fish_4_Food »

looking out of my office window yesterday, I'm really surprised the seas were that calm.

Thanks for the report.
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

Very nice
Cranfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Cranfield »

Great report and nice pictures, thanks. :thumbup:
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

WTG Jay, glad to see you back on the board!
Tom Keels
Site Founder

qoutrage
Site Sponsor

Post by qoutrage »

Good show, FF. Nice catch- Way to break'em in.
RodBow
Site Sponsor

Post by RodBow »

They'll be back...
use your opportunities ...

218 Carolina Skiff
25 Bayliner Deck
Big Bend Brian

Post by Big Bend Brian »

Captain Jay, I like your reports!

Not just a report stating I caught some fish, but really a pretty complete report about your day, what worked, statements concerning water quality & temperatures, and pictures to add to the report. Thanks.

I bet your right about “2 more guys hooked on grouper fishingâ€