st georges/cat point 3/26

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

stevo

st georges/cat point 3/26

Post by stevo »

I just had to go fishing saturday, no matter what. I was "on-call" until 2 saturday afternoon, so I couldn't head down to the gulf until then. So I drove for 2 hours, stood in the wind and rain, well, mostly wind. It must have been blowing steady at 25 with some gusts that felt like I might get blown over. The tide was up, about 45 min from turning when I got my first line wet. I used a jig tipped with shrimp and added a 3/4 oz sinker 6 inches above the jig to get it all the way down on the bottom.

After about 30 min I started to get bites. I pulled in a nice sail cat, about 7 lbs, and I could tell the bite was about to be on. I re-baited my line, and tossed it out, a few seconds later I had another nice hit. I don't know what it was, but right about then the rain was almost unbarable, so I packed everything up and drove the 2 hours home.

Is there something wrong with me if I have no problem driving 4 hours to do 45 min worth of fishing?

If only the weather had cooperated...
Littoral

Re: st georges/cat point 3/26

Post by Littoral »

stevo wrote:
Is there something wrong with me if I have no problem driving 4 hours to do 45 min worth of fishing?
No.
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Absolutely what Littoral said!!! :thumbup:

I don't think I've ever seen a post on this forum from a more normal individual than your self. Keep up the good work :-D
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Sir reel wrote:I don't think I've ever seen a post on this forum from a more normal individual than your self.
:smt043

stevo, It beat staying home and watching reruns didn't.... :thumbup:
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Only thing I see wrong, is letting the rain run ya off :-D Just don't tell Don where ya cought the catfish :smt043 :smt025
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Stevo- Nothing is wrong with you... Thursday night, I pulled my boat 60 miles to Lanark Village, spent Thursday and Friday night. Fished from someone elses boat for two hours after that horrible rain storm on Friday. I never put my boat in the water.

I feel like there is something is wrong with me..... :-D
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
qoutrage
Site Sponsor

Post by qoutrage »

You sound normal to me. 'Been doing that kinda stuff for 62 years, myself.
If it ain't a challenge or a little chancy, 'stuff probably won't hold your attention very long.
Ya just make your own adventures.
Ah man's gotta do, what ah man's gotta do...

Sounds like it wasn't that bad. I mean a 7lb SC, that a nice'un.
Thanks for the report.
nautigator

Post by nautigator »

Stevo- Nothing wrong at all, maybe there is, but you are like the rest of us and that makes you normal to us at the least...or something.

I am confused now and will just close with the real question of 'how'd you get that slime off your hands and gear?' I only touched one in my life and never will again, lesson learned. There was sailcat smegma 2 ft up my line too. :smt028
Tidedancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tidedancer »

"SAILCATS" The other white meat. YUM, YUM!!
stevo

Post by stevo »

nautigator wrote: I am confused now and will just close with the real question of 'how'd you get that slime off your hands and gear?' I only touched one in my life and never will again, lesson learned. There was sailcat smegma 2 ft up my line too. :smt028
I put a lobster glove on to hold down the cat, so thats where all the slime is. Interestingly enough, the slime only made it about a foot up my line.

Didn't mean for the rain to run me off, but perhaps there is something wrong with me if I drive all that way, know I'm going to fish in the rain, and neglect to bring a jacket :hammer: :cry:

I was rewarded with some hefty fillets though. Sailcats on the grill, hard to beat. :lick:

Most likely I'll be heading back this weekend sometime to try and do it again.
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

I use a pair of needle nose pliers ta grab the hook "outside the boat" I then just shake him off the hook "in a bucket if I got one, otherwise, back into the water" :-D They do not go in the livewell :smt011
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Littoral

Post by Littoral »

I'm a little confused, somebody is impersonating Wevans.
Wevans is fishing and I am anxiously anticipating his report.