Steinhatchee offshore. Wednesday, 4-20 05 (grouper)

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Big Bend Brian

Steinhatchee offshore. Wednesday, 4-20 05 (grouper)

Post by Big Bend Brian »

The goal for the day was cobia. Taking Bernie Fowlers 21 foot Key Largo, One Fish, we headed to Steinhatchee and were on the water by 6:30 a.m. On the way out we stopped to catch bait on a small spot of hard bottom in 24 feet. In about 20 minutes we filled the live well with really nice hand sized pigfish and spottail pinfish, but only a couple of pinfish. The seas were a solid 3 foot and safe anchoring would be questionable in deeper water so we blindly trolled for a bit hoping the seas would settle down. We trolled to 30 feet and only managed a 20 inch gag and 12 inch black seabass. With only a few miles to go to a small rock we powered up only to run across submerged bait (seen via the bottom finder) and a few gannets working the bait-it was too rough to see the bait on the surface. We pulled two Manns Stretch 25s and a small subsurface plug but managed only one small 7 lb kingfish. We continued trolling for a bit but no other macks.

In 39 feet we started fishing a small rock hoping a cobia would be present, but the baits were immediately intercepted by gags. We enjoyed a nice rally of gags. At one point I was dealing with an amberjack when I turned around to hear “woman noisesâ€
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

Excellent report. Thanks for the details.
dolphinatic
Advertising Sponsor

Post by dolphinatic »

sounds like a perfect day on the water to me :thumbup: :thumbup:
Eerman
Site Sponsor

Post by Eerman »

Nice pic
qoutrage
Site Sponsor

Post by qoutrage »

Nice write-up BB. Good day on the water for ya party. And thanks, for the fuel comment. We used 16.6 for 55 miles Wed, and I was wondering how that compared to other folks..
Thanks for the report.
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Well written. :thumbup:

Sounds like a good day to me.
What was I supposed to do today?